Cotton mouth or just a bump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
A couple of my neon tetras have a big white round bump on their upper lip. I had rearranged the tank a few days ago and put them into a bucket. I noticed these bumps after I had put them back into the tank. At first I just assumed that they were startled when in the bucket (probably by one of my cats) and must have rubbed their faces. The bumps haven't gotten any bigger, and no more fish in the tank have this problem. I wanted to check to see if it might be a disease though, like cotton mouth or something, so I'd like some input. Other than the physical bump on the lip, the tetras are behaving fine & are eating heartily and chasing their female companions.

Attachments

• DSC_2814.jpg
    DSC_2814.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC_2817.jpg
    DSC_2817.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_2833.jpg
    DSC_2833.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 170
It doesn't look like a fingus to me, but I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected if it was an injury while they were in the bucket.

can't really tell from the pics...it does kind of look like fuzz in the second picture.

primafix is a great way to treat that. ive had a spat of columnaris in my 150g and ive treated with primafix over the last few days. the fish are definately showing improvement. Also make sure that you keep the temperature around 74-75 as the bacteria will rapidly reproduce in higher temps. salt at 1-2 tbsp per gallon will also help, as the bacteria cannot live as well in water with salt in it (hence the reason sw fish dont get it)

Thanks for the advice everyone!
I'm thinking that the bumps are just injuries because none of the other fish have been affected in the past week except these two tetras, and the bumps they have haven't gotten any bigger or spread anywhere else. I added some aquarium salt to help the healing process. The aquarium salt package suggested 1 rounded tbsp per 5gal so I added 10 tbsp (it's a 55 gal) All the other fish are just fine and dandy and the temp is around 74.

Back
Top Bottom