Cotton Wool Disease on a Striped Raphael Cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a Striped Raphael Cat today, brought him home and noticed he had Cotton Wool on his right gill (was not there at the pet store?)! I freaked out and took him out of the tank (even though I was still temperature acclimating). No idea what to do now, have the proper medicine (Expired 2014) to treat it but he's in the bag... (don't have a proper quarantine tank).
WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!??!

Pictures of the fish:

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_185453788.jpg
    IMG_20160228_185453788.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 84
Update, found a "quarantine fish bowl". And put him in with some of the medicine. Please someone with information answer :/

Take him back or set him up in a bucket with the works like a heater and such. Give whatever spare equipment you have the bowl like a heater or something warm

The store closed at 6, will call in the morning to see what they recommend. I have bought tons of fish at this store for many years, never had a problem (should admit at this point it was a Petco)! Planning to get a full small setup at Walmart with filter heater etc.

The store closed at 6, will call in the morning to see what they recommend. I have bought tons of fish at this store for many years, never had a problem (should admit at this point it was a Petco)! Planning to get a full small setup at Walmart with filter heater etc.

Sounds like the best, look for any meds to.

UPDATE So got a bunch of stuff for a quarantine tank but he died a few minutes ago. :/ What should I do with a small Live Rock I put in the tank w/ him? Should I let it soak in the medicine or just toss it?

Okay doing that now. Gonna' order one on LiveAquaria in a few days.

Yeah, gonna' get some inverts for my reef tank and maybe some inverts also.

If your talking antibiotics, many prefer kanamycin "kanaplex"
Just dont overdose, its hard on their liver/kidneys
Other antibiotics work better mixed in feed, ie. Oxytetracycline, minocyclie....ect.
Understand the diffrence between Gram + and Gram - antibiotics
Most fish disease that are fatal are gram - but superficial wounds can be gram +
You can combine Nitrofurazone found at walmart as jungle "fungus cure" with kanamycin for a + and - combination

If your talking antibiotics, many prefer kanamycin "kanaplex"
Just dont overdose, its hard on their liver/kidneys
Other antibiotics work better mixed in feed, ie. Oxytetracycline, minocyclie....ect.
Understand the diffrence between Gram + and Gram - antibiotics
Most fish disease that are fatal are gram - but superficial wounds can be gram +
You can combine Nitrofurazone found at walmart as jungle "fungus cure" with kanamycin for a + and - combination

Thanks for the info, but he died yesterday :/

Yep! Got a Clown Pleco today from my LFS (not the Petco, where I got the Cat). He is doing great! Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom