Could new aquarium sand harm fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kismet95

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, you're probably tired of hearing from me but I just remembered, that I had bought aquarium sand for the quarry catfish to make a sandbox in a little glass jar well, a little glass bowl because I read that they like sand to be able to sit on for their bellies. I think this was before the first Cory catfish got sick. It was back in November but now that I think about it just like when you start up a new tank all the new stuff and everything you're more prone to ammonia in sickness and stuff like that wouldn't new query I'm sand also help cause this kind of thing.? Just a thought. It may make sense but I'm not a fish expert so would you guys know? If you look around I'll take a picture of it the little rim you can actually see dark shadowing like it's kind of dirty. I have all of the test strips from tetra but I don't have ammonia. I've been cleaning the tank a little bit less because the catfish have been doing such a good job cleaning that I haven't thought, well actually in between us I remember I got the plecos and you guys said that they poop a lot.. With maybe the sand and cleaning the tank less could totally fine looking happy catfish all of a sudden go lethargic slow down a bit kind of stop eating and then just died in a few days? this doesn't make sense but with ammonia sickness or I don't know fungal do you have to have something on you do you can you just be sick from the inside? And also Will Pima fix help ?

Sorry this is so long but I can talk to my phone to tell it to type ha ha. i'd appreciate any answers.

As we speak I am doing another probably 50% water change like yesterday maybe that will help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay here's a picture of the the gross sand with algae on it and perfect timing the Sacora catfish in front. Lethargic it's very little will move very little seems to be going downhill just a bit slower than his brother dead for a died. Looks fine could be breathing a little quick and a little shallow but I don't know.

Okay here's a picture of the the gross sand with algae on it and perfect timing the Sacora catfish in front. Lethargic it's very little will move very little seems to be going downhill just a bit slower than his brother dead for a died. Looks fine could be breathing a little quick and a little shallow but I don't know.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420569865.747631.jpg

Generally I would say new sand from a lfs shouldn't be an issue (apart from maybe making the aquarium water cloudy until it settles).

First up I'd check your water chemistry with a liquid based test kit just in case the strips are mis-reading. A lfs may do this. Also check ph and temp are ok.

Lol in the end it's not what it was. Good to know though. Ty

Back
Top Bottom