Couldn't get rid of ICK:((((

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamo87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've used a tempterature raise method because I have some scaleless fish and I couldn't use meds. I set the temp. to 86 for 12 days. Yesterday I started lowering it because there was no trace of the Ick. Today I noticed that one of my mollies has a couple of new white spots:(((. Shall I raise the temp again or do something else????

Thank you in advance!

I have read recent research on heat resistant Ich.
I use Ich-Attack (by Kordon). It is all natural, safe for scaleless fish and safe for your bio-filtration bacteria but most importantly it works very well.
I have used it on my expensive plecos (scaleless)

I have read recent research on heat resistant Ich.
I use Ich-Attack (by Kordon). It is all natural, safe for scaleless fish and safe for your bio-filtration bacteria but most importantly it works very well.
I have used it on my expensive plecos (scaleless)

But the thing is that raising the temp. cleared the white spots before and I don't know how come it started again. I also have a beautiful black ghost knife and I know that they are very sensitive to any kind of meds. Do you know if the ich-attack is safe for him?

Some research facts.
I quoted this somehwere with sources but don't have time to look it up right now.
at 85* Ich cannot attack a host, at 86* Ich cannot reproduce, 89* kills free swimming Ich.
It is possible that you got the heat high enough to stop it from attacking the fish but not high enough to kill it.
Bear in mind the accuracy of your thermometer and if the heat is even throughout your tank.
PS: yes Ich-Attack is safe for all your fish, it doesn't contain the harmfull stuff most other Ich meds do.

temp needs to stay at 86 or above for 2 weeks after the last indications are gone. The temp needs to kill all stages of the parasite. Those that you see are only one of the stages.

Meds other than copper are bunk. Read them, they all say to raise the temperature... Which is really all you need to do. Save your money.

Some research facts.
I quoted this somehwere with sources but don't have time to look it up right now.
at 85* Ich cannot attack a host, at 86* Ich cannot reproduce, 89* kills free swimming Ich.
It is possible that you got the heat high enough to stop it from attacking the fish but not high enough to kill it.
Bear in mind the accuracy of your thermometer and if the heat is even throughout your tank.
PS: yes Ich-Attack is safe for all your fish, it doesn't contain the harmfull stuff most other Ich meds do.

Thanks for the helpful advice. If I raise the temp. to 89 isn't it too much?

If Ich -attack is really safe I'll stop by my LFS and buy it today because I'm getting myself sick of that ICH already:)

I have heard of people going up to 90* to treat Ich but it really depends on what your fish can tolerate because real high temps are not good for some fish.

I have heard of people going up to 90* to treat Ich but it really depends on what your fish can tolerate because real high temps are not good for some fish.

How Can I determine the temp. level that my fish can tolerate???

I think maracyn helps treat ich it's not very expensive. Make sure you get just maracyn and not maracyn 2 though because they're meant to treat different things.
Maracyn does not treat Ich.
It is a broad range gram positive antibiotic. It can be used to treat secondary infections from the Ich outbreak though.
Mardel Freshwater Maracyn

Shop All Products By Mardel

• Broad-spectrum, nontoxic antibiotic powder for use in freshwater aquariums
  • Effective against gram-positive pathogenic microorganisms
  • For infections of columnaris (body fungus), fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, and secondary infections

where is your thermometer?
High in the tank you get a false reading. the warm water floats.
the gravel and low water MAY not be warm enough.

and the parasite lives in the gravel too.

cure this with a powerhead and make some strong steady current in the tank to mix the water and prevent the warrm water from floating and the colder water from sinking.

Then crank the temp up to 89-90 and keep it there if your other fish are the kind that can live in warm water.
Most tropicals can handle 88-90F water for a week.

or remove the fish to a another holding tank, dose them with something like MC& Formalin to kill the ich on them.

and crank the tank up to 90-95F with no fish in it.

cool the water back down to normal temp before you put the fish back.

Back
Top Bottom