Crabs eating each other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tylerof

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So a few days ago i had purchased 3 red claw crabs in a 10 gallon tank, i at first fed them pellets but they wouldnt eat those so i moved to flakes and watched as 2 of the crabs ate happily with each other, the 3rd crab who is named Shaw just hid in her bushed like she always does and not really moving. I figured that she was molting or a asleep. as i woke up this morning i witnessed Shaw eating another females leg. the other female is okay and was scurrying about her little area but i dont know if this was a territorial dispute or that i need to feed shaw live food if someone can help that would be great :(

Was the other Crabs leg broken off, did you see it missing? Sometimes they are eating the molted /discarded exoskeleton, and it looks like the body part.

Are the crabs in brackish water, do they have a space to get out of the water as they are partially terrestrial?

Crabs are scavengers and will eat whatever they can. They will eat many kinds of food, meats and veggies, prepared foods.

Care must be taken as to keep the water in safe parameters, especially if you are feeding things in a trial and error manner. You can remove uneaten food after a couple hours - a turkey baster is really useful for that.

There are turtle type in tank filters, is there a filter on the tank and are you familiar with the nitrification process?

There is a "Getting Started" link in my signature which is still similar to keeping fish.

Back
Top Bottom