Crowntail Betta With Severe Finrot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amy_anthrax2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!
I need some help... My lovely crowntail betta, Jaws, started suffering from fin rot about 2-3 months ago. It started of mild, but it continues to get worse. I've done just about everything in the book, including:

*Tetracycline
*Maracyn I & II
*MarOxy (to treat the secondary fungus)
*Aquarium salt

I haven't done them all at once, but at different intervals. If anything its just gotten worse. Here's a little info on his habitat and diet:

2 Gal aquarium with air filtration, 80 Degrees, plastic rock formation and plastic plant
He's fed a variety of pellets, color-enhancing pellets, and freeze-dried blood worms.

I've also attached some pictures so you can view his slow deterioration.

This was from when I first got him.
IMG01790-20100808-1109.jpg picture by Amy_Anthrax2010 - Photobucket

Back in September... Notice the stringy material hanging from his rays.
IMG02168-20101002-1533.jpg picture by Amy_Anthrax2010 - Photobucket

October... Fins becoming translucent and small pin hole in tail.
IMG02182-20101004-1222.jpg picture by Amy_Anthrax2010 - Photobucket

Today... Tail is almost completely destroyed, anal fin missing chunk, rays falling off dorsal fin.
IMG02720-20101116-1148.jpg picture by Amy_Anthrax2010 - Photobucket

Someone please help me! :confused:

What is your water change routine? I would advise against medications and for a focus on maitaining pristine water conditions.

+1 for lots of water changes. Try replacing 25% of the water in the tank every day and see if the fish improves. It's really easy to have bad water in a 2g because it's such a small volume. If you haven't done so, get your water tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If these are new terms for you, read up on the nitrogen cycle here on AA!. It's crucial to aquarium success.

+1 for all of the above, clean water is the best medicine.
Also on a side note, only use 1/2 doses of meds with bettas.

I usually do 100% water changes about twice a week.
I went out and bought a 3 Gal tank with a carbon filter this evening, and I'm gonna give that a try. I've haven't treated him with meds for the last two days, so I'm hoping the clean water will help.
Also, I noticed that he has what looks like a hole in his head, above his nostril, which seems to go all of the way through. I have a grim feeling about my little guy. :(

I have a second crowntail betta, who is about 3 times the size of Jaws, and he's quite lively and not ill.

Hmm, well since you are doing 100% water changes, you are probably killing all of the good bacteria. :( Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle at all?

A hole in his head doesn't sound too good. :(

He also looks REALLY skinny from the first to last pic, so I wonder if he has an internal parasite. You should try some anti-parasitic food. Jungle makes a pellet form of it, and you can get it at PetSmart.

Back
Top Bottom