Curvature of the spine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here are the specs:

1) 1 glolight tetra has a warped spine - appears to have no other symptoms, his colour is good and he's eating and hanging out with the others. This seems to have gotten worse in the past few weeks. It's been there for about 6-8 weeks or so.
2) Parameters are good - ammonia zero, nitrates pretty low, temp is 76 degrees F.
3) The tank is a 10 gal and has been set up for a year now
4) It has a standard hob filter
5) There are 4 glolight tetras, 4 neon tetras, and a pile of snails that sort of invaded recently
6) I just vacuumed the gravel moments ago, and I do this about once every 2 weeks. I change about 1/4 of the water when I do this, and occasionally add some melafix.
7) I've had the fish for a few months now - since the early spring, I think
8- I added a bit more gravel and live plants (with snails, inadvertently) about 3 months ago.
9) They get flakes, with frozen bloodworm treats once every 1 or 2 weeks

Sorry to tell you this but it sounds like TB. Don't panic. It's the fish version and not contagious to you. Fish don't recover from this. To be sure it doesn't spread to the rest of your fish either isolate or euthanize. Other fish can contract this if a diseased fish dies and the others decide the dead fish is a meal.

Thanks folks. I appreciate the quick response - as soon as I read your posts, I looked for some fish TB images and they looked exactly like my warped little dude. I'm so sad - I just euthanized him. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom