dalmation molly help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew_raw

Aquarium Advice Activist
one of my dalmation mollys is lying on the sand and only moves when i go near the tank, i moved it to a hang on breeder box to seperate him, any ideas what it could be ?

Hello matt...

Sand isn't the best choice of substrate for Mollies. It can become compacted in areas and cause water chemistry problems. Of all the "Livebearers", Mollies are the most sensitive to poor water conditions. If you're not changing out half the water in the tank every week, then you should consider it, especially with Mollies.

A bit of standard aquarium salt added to the new water is helpful. I add a teaspoon of it to every 5 gallons of the new water that goes into my Livebearer tanks. It seems to help the fishes' immune system.

B

okay thanks for the info, think i will go with a fine gravel then ! and try adding the salt,i will be getting a external filter soon to help with water quality

Mollies are actually from brackish water originally. They adapt so well to fresh water, it is how they are sold and many don't know they are truly brackish fish. Salt is often a great tonic for them, as it what they would live in naturally.

ill pick some salt up next time i go to the aquarium, can other fish live with the salt, i have a golden gouarami, 2 rosie tetras, goldspot pleco, two cherry barbs, two swordtail, three guppys, two angle fish and the three mollys ?

Most of the catfish are pretty sensitive to salt, so I would not put salt in with a plec. I'd isolate the sick one instead if at all possible, in case it has something contagious.

Back
Top Bottom