Damage of eye of apisto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsantucci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I received an order of 3 Apistos on Friday and they must have fought a bit in shipment. One has some scrapes on its lips and they are whitish colored and the other has scrapes over and on the side of its eye. I'm curious what you all think. Should this heal itself with daily water changes? There is a small bump on the scrap near the eye of the one. Pics below of both the eye and lips. Any info or thoughts are appreciated.

20130930_205350.jpg

20130930_205347.jpg

20130930_205337.jpg

20130930_200700.jpg

20130930_200710.jpg

I think it will heal over time just keep your water nice and clean. That doesn't look like a battle wound to me maybe just got shook around to much in the bag? Also contact the seller and tell him what happened

I think it will heal over time just keep your water nice and clean. That doesn't look like a battle wound to me maybe just got shook around to much in the bag? Also contact the seller and tell him what happened

I've been in contact with them, they agree it just looks like damage from shipment and nothing else. I just wanted to get some other opinions just in case. I've been recommended to add Seachem Paraguard to the tank just in case which I'm overnighting and will start dosing tomorrow.

Personally I wouldn't add anything till i know it's needed. It doesn't look bad enough to start dosing

That bubble/bump near the eye doesn't worry you? I only ask because when he came in it was just gray there with a slight piece of loose looking skin. That loose skin is not a round bump. I guess we could say that is from healing, but I'm not sure. Haven't had to deal with this before so I'm just being safe. Rivercats is who recommended the Paraguard and I trust her a lot.

I personally don't use anything that isn't needed. If you notice something that is infected then I would dose meds but right now id just use clean water.

Cool. I've been doing 10% changes lately so I should be good with clean water. I like to keep my tank pristine anyway.

The two I'm worried about are eating and whatnot still so I'm fairly certain they will be fine. The bump just had me worries more so than anything else.

Thanks again for the recommendation of where to get these from. Pleasure dealing with them and they seem to really care for their fish.

If you feel compelled to add something, if you can get a hold of some kettapang almond leaves they have been known to have healing effects upon releasing acidic tannins. Not to mention your apistos would enjoy them nonetheless

Yeah I was thinking of that, but none around here from any store. I may order some anyway since they love them regardless.

Yes they will. This is why I often say its impossible to recreate their natural habitat because in the wild apistos and rams come from areas with often 1 meter or deeper leaf litter on the bottom

Back
Top Bottom