Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Danio is bloated - pic included

Hi! I am new here. I posted on my old aquarium website, but it's been pretty slow there.

I've got a 29 gallon tank with two giant danios and a few tropheus duboisi. They've been in this tank together for over a year. The danios I have had for probably 5 years and I got the tropheus when they were juvenile.

One of the danios is very bloated in the abdomen. Fins are not pineconing. I only noticed it today when I was doing the water change, so it must've been a very recent thing.

I also read up on Malawi bloat, but would it take this long for it to show up?

I do not have a hospital tank, as I live in a small apartment.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You might be able to remove him to a container that would work for a QT, I would say without knowing exactly what it is you can try lots of clean water....like daily water changes for a while. If you had a QT you could also try epsom salts.

I would stop feeding and do lots of water changes and see if that helps.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

After the water change yesterday and no food in the tank for about 24 hours, the swelling is down tremendously. I am not sure what the cause was.

Ah well. I will feed the tank much less than usual tonight and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Glad to hear your fish appears a bit better. With any luck it will continue to get better.

Tags
bloat, bloated, danio, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com