danio is in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andreahp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently increased the temp in my tank to treat ich in 2 of my fish (a platy & black skirt tetra) - this morning I see one of my danios swimming listlessly (tho not gulping for air) at the top of the tank with a red belly. My ammonia & nitrite levels are fine - nitrates seemed a little high after I did a large water change - 10-20ppm - hard to tell with the color chart. Could the fish be constipated or nearing its demise?

Did you add an airstone or drop the water level when you warmed the tank up? Warmer water has less oxygen.
Is his belly bloated or just red? Can you post a pic?

It's belly was red and swollen (notice I said "was") - during the course of the morning, the research I did indicated it probably had accute dropsy. I already have an airstone in the tank but the reading I did online taught me about dropping the water level and increasing the oxygen in the water if I need to increase the temp. I am new at fish keeping so seeing the fish in that condition was disheartening but I know fish get sick. Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom