Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2021, 06:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Danio Struggling to Swim

Hi,

I have owned quite a few zebra danios now but have never had this happen before.

He is struggling to swim and it’s so upsetting to watch him struggle all day. The spine also looks like it’s starting to curve can someone please advise why this might be happening and if there’s anything I can do to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4838CEFD-0E24-4B9E-B546-8B94B6384B62.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	319388  

Old 01-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How old is the zebra danio? Curved spine is a common condition for zebra danios once they pass a couple of years on age.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi,

I have only had him for about 2 months and was smaller than my other zebra danios so I did not think he was that old
Old 01-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are many causes for bent spines and zebra danios seem to be prone.

- Old age (as mentioned).
- Poor genetics/inbreeding.
- TB.
- Nutrient deficiency.
- Poor water conditions - what are your water parameters and tank size?
- Disease - are there any other sypmtoms?

Not sure if its treatable, im no expert on treatments and medications, but i doubt a bent spine can be straightened. If it looks to be suffering, might be best to put it out of its misery. Im sure someone else will chip in though.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for your help it has been really useful.

Doesn’t look like we’ll be able to treat it but I am taking a water sample to a local pet shop to be tested to hopefully see if we can prevent anything from happening to the other fish
Old 01-19-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I genuinely think the reason for it is they breed these particular fish in huge quantities, and the genetics get all mixed up (or not mixed up). And this poor genetics cause more issues the older the fish. They only live 1 year in the wild, 2 or 3 years in an aquarium, so degenerate diseases start to show sooner or later. I have some zebra danios that are getting on for 3 years now and there is a noticable bend to their spines, but they still seem ok, albeit they have slowed down a little. I put some younger danios in last week, and it seemed to reinvigorate them though which made me laugh a little.

Zebra danios are also prone to TB. I just read that this is transmittable to humans which is a bit worrying.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....about-fish-tb/
Old 01-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
I genuinely think the reason for it is they breed these particular fish in huge quantities, and the genetics get all mixed up (or not mixed up). And this poor genetics cause more issues the older the fish. They only live 1 year in the wild, 2 or 3 years in an aquarium, so degenerate diseases start to show sooner or later. I have some zebra danios that are getting on for 3 years now and there is a noticable bend to their spines, but they still seem ok, albeit they have slowed down a little. I put some younger danios in last week, and it seemed to reinvigorate them though which made me laugh a little.

Zebra danios are also prone to TB. I just read that this is transmittable to humans which is a bit worrying.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....about-fish-tb/
I just read that about the curved spine and tb also. But your right on about genetics too. Many aquarium fish are overbred, inbred and generally manipulated to achieve more profit. Most fish we all keep would never look like they do in the wild

Tags
danio, struggling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com