Danios - two situations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mecyr12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

We have a 20 gallon freshwater planted tank that we set up 8 months ago. We currently have 6 zebra danios, 1 dwarf gourami, 2 emerald corys, and 1 dwarf clown plecco.
On last check our water readings were fine, we are going to check it again this evening. We do weekly 1/3 water changes. We have two aquaclear30 filters running.

About 4 weeks ago we lost a gourami out of the blue and around the same time we noticed a female danio acting erratically. She was sitting in a plant and then would swim very quickly almost out of control around the plant and then settle again. She always comes up for food and sometimes interacts with other danios but often swims erratically and hides on the bottom. We had our water parameters checked and they were fine.

We then added 3 new danios as the recommended numbers were 6 in a tank and we didn't want any extra attention on the 'sick' danio. They adapted well in the tank, until yesterday one of the new danios has a large red fin. Originally we thought it was feces but it's location and thickness make more sense to be a fin. He is swimming more slowly and breathing heavier than the others but is eating and still interacting with others. Today his fin is not red, but looks abnormal. One side is big and thick and the other is almost a doublet. We didn't notice this before but perhaps he was born with it? It won't let me add a picture but I will keep trying.

I'd appreciate any feedback! We love our fish and are new to keeping a tank.

Now we're thinking clamped fin for our zebra danio. Does anyone have experience dealing with this??

It is his pelvic fin. I've gone to the forum website and it's allowed me to upload a video of the red fin! Sorry it's a bit long and comes and goes in focus, these are busy little fish haha

Still having trouble sharing pictures or videos.

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 44
Could it be an injury on the fin? Sometimes they are fairly zippy.

No sign of worms or anything around the anal vent?

Would be good to list your tank readings. Tracking readings is useful as eg PH may be fine but if it changed suddenly (but still technically ok) suggests something going on.

If the redness is inside the fin then might be bacterial infection.

The redness definitely looked internal, and is gone now.

Is there any harm in treating the tank for bacterial infection if we're wrong?

As the redness is going away I'd just keep the tank water clean / extra gravel vacs. Make sure change water is roughly temp matched and watch for secondary fungus. Check ph and temp are fine.

Bacterial treatment could damage good bacteria population, plants, encourage bacterial resistance and sometimes not good for fish.

If it gets worse or not better in say 5 days, onto a treatment.

Thank you for the advice!! We will monitor the situation and the water. :)

Back
Top Bottom