Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-09-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Kristinlynda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Oakland CA
Posts: 7
Dark tail fins on goldfish

Hi there! I am here because my ex moved out and I am trying to learn how to take care of my four year old goldfish on my own and am utterly clueless. Goldie(my niece named him) is in a ten gallon aquarium with a carbon filter. About a month ago he developed rot. I treated him with Melafix and Pimafix based on a friendís advice and he recovered quickly but sadly his tail has started to turn dark again and he doesnít seem to be responding to the medication this time. I have removed everything in his tank and cleaned his rocks and done a water change and removed the carbon filter before starting the second round of treatment. Is there something else I need to be doing for him? Iím so overwhelmed and really want to help him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940FD03A-5ACE-4E6F-8080-98A58DB0A0C6.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	322885  

__________________
Kristinlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Aiken Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 3,969
Did you take on the fish, tank etc? Or is it a new set up? New tank, filter etc?

Do you have any idea what your water parameters are?

Bits of your goldfish turning black is a sign of ammonia being too high, which in turn is a sign your tank isnt cycled. In the short term, plenty of water changes are the best thing you can do. For the time being change half the water every day.

Going forward, im conscious that the situation has kind of been forced on you, but a 10g tank isnt going to be big enough for a goldfish. In a suitable environment, goldfish get big and live decades. They are also very messy. The upshot is they need a lot of space, ultimately a tank 3x bigger than you have for just one goldfish. How big is the fish currently? Do you have any idea how old it is? I dont really want to assume how commited you are to caring for this fish in terms of time, money and space.

If you are committed to the care of the fish, then i would get a water test kit. We can then determine if your tank is cycled. API freshwater master test kit is a good one to go for.

I can post some information about the nitrogen cycle if you want to learn about whats going on in the tank. In the meantime here's a link about what to do if you find yourself the owner of a goldfish which contains a lot of useful information.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...re-377527.html
__________________
Aiken Drum
Community Moderator
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Kristinlynda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Oakland CA
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
Did you take on the fish, tank etc? Or is it a new set up? New tank, filter etc?

Do you have any idea what your water parameters are?

Bits of your goldfish turning black is a sign of ammonia being too high, which in turn is a sign your tank isnt cycled. In the short term, plenty of water changes are the best thing you can do. For the time being change half the water every day.

Going forward, im conscious that the situation has kind of been forced on you, but a 10g tank isnt going to be big enough for a goldfish. In a suitable environment, goldfish get big and live decades. They are also very messy. The upshot is they need a lot of space, ultimately a tank 3x bigger than you have for just one goldfish. How big is the fish currently? Do you have any idea how old it is? I dont really want to assume how commited you are to caring for this fish in terms of time, money and space.

If you are committed to the care of the fish, then i would get a water test kit. We can then determine if your tank is cycled. API freshwater master test kit is a good one to go for.

I can post some information about the nitrogen cycle if you want to learn about whats going on in the tank. In the meantime here's a link about what to do if you find yourself the owner of a goldfish which contains a lot of useful information.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...re-377527.html

Hi! The tank has been set up since the fish was won at a carnival by niece four years ago. The filter has not changed but I did replace the plants recently because they were slimy. I unfortunately do not know about my water parameters I will order the API test kit today! Goldie is about four years old and about three inches. If he recovers I will look into a more suitable tank for him, I am fully committed to giving all my pets the best life possible I just know nothing so I really appreciate the insight! I never would have guessed that ten gallons was too small for one fish! I will do the daily water changes and test the water. Iím currently caring for four premature kittens so Iím spread a bit thin at the moment but really want to help him.
__________________
Kristinlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Aiken Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 3,969
At 4 years your goldfish should be about 8 inches, so the small tank has already stunted the fishes growth. This will cause ill health and shortened life expectancy and is probably irreversible. A larger tank will give your fish a better quality of life though.

Its not that a 10g is too small for 1 fish, but it is too small for 1 fish that should grow to 12 inches. 10g is a great size tank for other smaller fish.

If the tanks been running for 4 years, it should be cycled by now. But there could be other factors causing ammonia and its a good idea to know where you are at. For instance the filter may not be big enough.

Here is a link to a page with more information for new fishkeepers if you havent already found it.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...um-154837.html
__________________
Aiken Drum
Community Moderator
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Kristinlynda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Oakland CA
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
At 4 years your goldfish should be about 8 inches, so the small tank has already stunted the fishes growth. This will cause ill health and shortened life expectancy and is probably irreversible. A larger tank will give your fish a better quality of life though.

Its not that a 10g is too small for 1 fish, but it is too small for 1 fish that should grow to 12 inches. 10g is a great size tank for other smaller fish.

If the tanks been running for 4 years, it should be cycled by now. But there could be other factors causing ammonia and its a good idea to know where you are at. For instance the filter may not be big enough.

Here is a link to a page with more information for new fishkeepers if you havent already found it.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...um-154837.html
Thank you! I have been reading through it and a neighbor is running to the store for the test kit for me since I canít leave my kittens right now and donít want to wait for one to be shipped to me. Hopefully I can get Goldie back on track ASAP and find a appropriate tank to give him the best possible life going forward. It really makes me sad that he is stunted but as my ex was in charge of all decisions up to this point I can only do whatís best going forward. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help my clueless self out!
__________________
Kristinlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Kristinlynda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Oakland CA
Posts: 7
I tested the water and the ammonia was at .25 so I did a water change as recommended and WOW! Goldie already looks so much better! Thank you so much! I never would have figured out what was wrong on my own!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86E2E4E9-1A14-4B8E-9E6C-FE6FDFF6E679.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	322886  
__________________
Kristinlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Aiken Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 3,969
0.25ppm ammonia isnt that bad, but freshening up the water is always a good idea if you are concerned about anything.
__________________
Aiken Drum
Community Moderator
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Kristinlynda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Oakland CA
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
0.25ppm ammonia isnt that bad, but freshening up the water is always a good idea if you are concerned about anything.
Well his dark fins cleared up nearly completely overnight so It must have been bothering him. I think removing the old plants and rocks when I thought they were causing the issue backfired. I definitely have a LOT to learn if I plan to keep this guy healthy 🙃
__________________
Kristinlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fin, fins, fish, gold, goldfish, tail, tail fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark Mark on/in guppy tail Tank Mate Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 3 09-08-2017 09:19 AM
Apisto macmasteri female dark, clamped fins, hanging out in corner michellev512 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 3 04-11-2015 10:34 AM
Difference between gold/dark common goldfish jay24 Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 3 01-01-2014 11:46 AM
Clamped Fins.. fins rotting off.. white patches on skin... All my fish are dying.. candymancan Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 4 10-25-2013 06:46 AM
Raised dark red spots on my Fantail Goldfish the_colonel Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 2 05-17-2010 11:57 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.