day by day 7 dead guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackie

Aquarium Advice Regular
all the guppies are now dead one by one , they were put in an established tank, no illness in the tank that i know of .seemed happy for the first eight days ,then one goes missing ,found him the next day,when another looked pale and lifeless, but still alive ,next morning he was gone to..this went on,nearly every day or two days losing another,one even went belly up in front of our eyes,hejust turned over and dropped to the bottom,7 lost guppies in all :( .the water checked out ok, and if it was shock wouldnt they have all died at once,added melafix after first one .any ideas on this one ,as ive never had this situation before and dont want it to happen again . hoping someone can help best wishes to all who put so much into this site.. jackie

A couple of questions:

1. What kind of guppies (rarely matters, but might)?
2. What are the water test results?
3. What size tank?
4. What else is in the tank?
5. How much melafix did you add?

I will try to help the best I can!

hi bearfan guppies were bright red colour , the water was o ammonia o nitrite, 40 nitrate . the tank is 12 x15x24 ,, 13.8 gallons[ english] 62.7 litres....i added one and a half teaspoons melafix per day for seven days ,, as i said the tank has been running for a couple of years with routine water changes every other week of 20 per cent .. now one of the neons has vanished, moved big gourami over to another tank last week in case it was something nastie has but all other fish seem fine, reading up on this could it be ph shock, never had a problem before and all the fish come from the same fish store , one i would recomend to anyone.thanks for answering . jackiel

sorry bearfan you asked about other fish in the tank pearl gourami[ now moved] 3 beacon tetras,4 neons,1 flying fox, 2 albino corys,1panda cory. jackie

your tank was a little over stocked for one, and some gourami can be aggressive ( and my golds were very, very sneaky about it--killed two baby angels before i figured out who the murderers were... :evil: --i have some that are the meekest weenies in the tank, and these two who i had to remove, go figure--each fish is different...i would be suspicious though , esp with the crowding--if not that, since you have lost a neon since it could be that your water quality went down, but with your regular changes and a well established tank, it should have recovered fairly quickly--any reason your bacterial colonies wouldn't have been up to par?

hi there, don't think so, the neon was an odd one out for quite a while , the other three just didnt let him in their group, so that could have been stress related , can' t think of any other reason.. overstocked by half an inch the other fish were not fullgrown and we had already another bigger tank cycling ,to move them over to .. water tested ok water changes and gravel cleaning regular, only thing i can think of is that when i cleaned gravel before their arrival , i stirred up something out of the substrate.any thought on this..

Back
Top Bottom