Dead ADF and angry Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marbella93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've had my tank happily running for about 10-11 months now.. I have a male Betta, rummy nose tetras and ADFs.
They've all been living quite happily together but over the last couple of months I have lost a couple of tetras.. One disappeared and I found it in the gravel (no idea what happened there) and another was floating at the top with a chunk of its face and fin missing :( these happened about a month apart but I noticed tonight that George (Betta) is chasing them after lights out which he has never done before.. What should I do??

Also I had 2 ADFs (1 male 1 female).. I've noticed lately they've been floating at the top but they have always done this (the strange antics of an ADF!).. However tonight I found Bonnie at the bottom of the tank dead :( I have no idea why and I'm worried little Clyde will die as well.. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened?

I clean the tank regularly and do partial water changes and have never had any issues (good nitrate levels etc)

Someone please help me restore my happy family!

Sounds like the betta is killing them. I tried putting neons in with one of my bettas and it did not go well. At first I tried adding 3 neons in with Chartreuse, the betta, which seemed fine. He never even chase them. So since neons like schools I bought 4 more. The day I put them in 1 went missing. I figured I was crazy and somehow only got 3 or it jumped out and the cat ate it. Weeks later when I was cleaning the tank Chartreuse attacked a neon, I'm not going to go into details it was pretty horrible. Back to the point I'd take the betta out of the tank if you can. If you can't remove him or the other fish, maybe a temporary breeding box or a tank divider. Good luck. I have been able to keep single male bettas in a community tank years ago so it must just depend on the betta, probably tank size, and number of fish.

Back
Top Bottom