Dead amanos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
I figured this would be the place for inverts too...
Ammo 0
trItes 0
Trates 5
Temp 80 degrees f
Planted tank with Eco complete, 40 breeder.
Never used medication, and only shrimp are dead, all snails are still kicking.
Stock WAS 6 Amano shrimp, 6 nerite snails (all snails still alive) 10 cardinal tetras, 8 Von rio tetras, crown tail betta.
Dose with flourish once a week, prime during weekly PWC.
I am at a complete loss as to why they all kicked!!

HalfMoon B said:
I figured this would be the place for inverts too...
Ammo 0
trItes 0
Trates 5
Temp 80 degrees f
Planted tank with Eco complete, 40 breeder.
Never used medication, and only shrimp are dead, all snails are still kicking.
Stock WAS 6 Amano shrimp, 6 nerite snails (all snails still alive) 10 cardinal tetras, 8 Von rio tetras, crown tail betta.
Dose with flourish once a week, prime during weekly PWC.
I am at a complete loss as to why they all kicked!!

All six ??????????

How long have you had them? I've had the same three in a community tank for a few years now.

Had them at least 2 months. They came from SM, so I am VRRY hard fessed to say it was bad stock. My tank is just an invert death pit apparently...

I have a tank that I was having trouble keeping anything alive in. It was a true mystery. The params were always perfect. Still don't know what the problem was. But it seems to have fixed itself and now the tank is thriving.

Wish I could offer more help.

Two months is long enough that they should've settled in.

Mystery....the snails are fine but the shrimp aren't... Grrr.
Second set of inverts from SM that have met their demise in my tank.
At this rate she won't sell to me anymore! :p

Last edited:
And you're sure they're dead and not just molted? I have some Amanos from SM as well and they're doing great but every time they molt and just leave a husk laying around it is kinda freaky.

Also, where does your tap water come from? Could there have been some event (weather, water main break, etc) that may have contaminated your water with something?

And - now that I look at your stocking list - could your Betta be hunting them? I've read that bettas aren't exactly "friendly" with inverts, especially the ones without a nice hard shell to hide in.

Uhm, pink and squishy, and in tact. No damage, even after death. They weren't attacked. I am on a municipal water supply. I tested that, and no changes there.

Last edited:
Ah, you have a betta in with them? Bettas have quite a reputation for picking apart snails and shrimp. They don't kill them, they just rip parts off until the poor thing dies from the stress. Do they look whole or have they definitely been picked on?

Ahh yes. They would most definitely be dead.

I can sympathize because I don't think there is a single experienced person on this forum that can say they've had success with 100% of the animals they've tried to keep.

For me it was RCS. You know - those little red fellas that are supposed to be indestructible?

Yeaa.... nope. Even in a tank completely by themselves - they couldn't have died faster if they were lemmings jumping off a cliff.

It's strange but could anyone have used air freshener or anything like that around the tank ??

HalfMoon B said:
Nope, just me in the apt. Unless the cats did something to the tank...?

Lol cats can be evil!!! Ahaha man... Idk

I seriously doubt they did anything, no opening larger than tail, let alone their feet, or THEM.
And the tank is completely covered for the most part... Well I guess I will leave things be for a bit,a dn pick up so more shrimp later on...

HalfMoon B said:
I seriously doubt they did anything, no opening larger than tail, let alone their feet, or THEM.
And the tank is completely covered for the most part... Well I guess I will leave things be for a bit,a dn pick up so more shrimp later on...

Lol yeah I'm sure it wasnt the cats haha

Back
Top Bottom