Dead Angelfish. Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elpez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I need some advice, comments, thoughts, suggestions, anything.
I started intruducing angelfish to my tank about 20 days ago. One died within 14 days later, I returned it to the pet store and got 2 more, one died within 2 days. The other is still alive but I noticed he is close to the surface with nose pointing up. A 3rd one died last night, so I have one left.
PH is at 7.8 and just added peat to lower it.
Ammonia at 0.25 - replaced ammonia remover crystals last night and added Purigen media.
Nitrites 0
Nitrtates 20ppm
Feeding them flakes and bloodworms and occotionaly brine shrimp
Any thought?

Are you buying all of them from the same store? It could just be weak stock. How big are the fish you are buying? Little juveniles can be touchy as compared to larger fish.

Yes, same store but different shippments. As far as size goes, 2 were slightly bigger than a quarter, 1 almost A silver dollar and the one still alive is the largest at silve dollar size.

You can't just fix ammonia by adding an ammonia pack. I'd recommend lots of water changes as well. What's your temp like? But it sounds like a weak stalk, maybe check out another store

.25 ammonia isn't much and could be present in the tap water.

Yes, same store but different shippments. As far as size goes, 2 were slightly bigger than a quarter, 1 almost A silver dollar and the one still alive is the largest at silve dollar size.

They can be touchy at that size. Honestly, my advice would be to seek out a breeder rather than buying from the store. The store probably gets them from a wholesaler or fish farm where they have been mass-produced. You'll typically get better quality fish from a hobbyist breeder.

You can't just fix ammonia by adding an ammonia pack. I'd recommend lots of water changes as well. What's your temp like? But it sounds like a weak stalk, maybe check out another store

really? So what are the ammonia remover crystals for? or why do they sell them?

They do help! Don't get me wrong! But water changes/gravel cleaning are really what get rid of your ammonia! .25 isn't bad at all! Just keep an eye on it if it gets high it can cause stress on your fish, and if it does get high, I'd recommend a 50% water change or more, you need to do big ones to significantly change ammonia.

Have you ever tested the water from your tap? .25 ammonia could be just from your tap...
I'd suggest testing your tap water, and if so, i would buy the chemical prime. It's very good, and just use it on the new water you put in your tank when you do water changes!

They do help! Don't get me wrong! But water changes/gravel cleaning are really what get rid of your ammonia! .25 isn't bad at all! Just keep an eye on it if it gets high it can cause stress on your fish, and if it does get high, I'd recommend a 50% water change or more, you need to do big ones to significantly change ammonia.

Have you ever tested the water from your tap? .25 ammonia could be just from your tap...
I'd suggest testing your tap water, and if so, i would buy the chemical prime. It's very good, and just use it on the new water you put in your tank when you do water changes!

Thanks! The big water change is due tomorrow. I have been duing 10% wc weekly but I used RO water. Ammonia tested 0. I used tap water to fill the tank for the first time 30 days ago and used a tap water conditioner. I also added decoration and rocks from a previously cycled tank. At that point ammonia was at 0.25 and 5 days later it was at 0. I did use the ammo crystals from day 1. The I started to add fish and of course the ammonia levels climbed and stayed @ 0.25 for the past 4 days.

A fully cycled aquarium will not require "ammonia absorbers". They sell them because people buy them. I'd recommend larger water changes. 10% weekly won't be enough to remove sufficient wastes. Nor should RO be needed.

Thanks! I guess once I get enough bacteria growth I'll stop using tha ammonia chips. I'll keep the rest in case of an emergency, such as last night. I wasn't going to be able to do a water change in my 80G. I will tomorrow.
regarding the RO I use that because I have an under the sink filter installed and I am also trying to lower the PH. I prefer not to use tap and add the conditioner. Tap water PH where I live is at 8 to 8.2.
Is there a beneffit in using tap water? besides the good minerals the water might have?
I also started using peat two days ago. The first day I added 2 tbsp and saw no change in 24 hrs. Last night I added 6 more tbsp and will test tonight. I have an underwater pump in a 20G sump. Do you know what the recommended amount is? The package has no instructions. It's from Fluval.

I've had great success with peat moss granules(sera is the brand) for lowering my ph in my discus tank. I just throw a bag of it in the back of my HOB filter.

I bought one of those nylon bags the one for medium/large and filled it about 1/4 of the way. I'd say about 4-6 tablespoons worth keeps my ph stable never moves keeps it right around 6.5( it's hard to tell exactly with those tests but it's always the same so it is stable and that's the most important part

I've had a lot of angels and in my experience they hate ammonia so try and keep it at 0 if u can. Is your tank cycled sufficiently usually if it is you would see 0 ammonia unless it is in your tap water already.

Well, I just got some bad news from home, the last angelfish died.
I guess the tank is not fully cycled. Ammonia was down to 0 about 2 weeks ago, but then I removed some rocks that apperantly were increasing my PH, probably were most of the bacteria was, and ammonia jumped to 0.25.
All other I have fish are fine.

Elpez said:
Well, I just got some bad news from home, the last angelfish died.
I guess the tank is not fully cycled. Ammonia was down to 0 about 2 weeks ago, but then I removed some rocks that apperantly were increasing my PH, probably were most of the bacteria was, and ammonia jumped to 0.25.
All other I have fish are fine.

Agh that sucks don't feel to bad angels can be tough. I would say run your tank for a few more weeks to get your beneficial bacteria built up and make sure u have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.... Nitrates should be there around 5-40 is usually normal and means your tank is cycled( try and keep those nitrates closer to 5 then 40 by doing water changes when necessary) if u do that and maybe find a better source for your Angels local breeders usually work the Best since they were prob raise in similar water conditions to yours good luck and don't give up Angels are worth the effort I've lost a few over the years :( it happens unfortunately

Thanks Jesse,

I'll do that. I got all 4 at petsmart, and this one I got it 5 days ago, so I am taking it back for a refund. Another thing, a couple of weeks ago I was told by a petsmart employee that all their water tanks have aquarium salt. Is this good for angelfish?

Elpez said:
I prefer not to use tap and add the conditioner. Tap water PH where I live is at 8 to 8.2.
Is there a beneffit in using tap water?

It is more important to keep Ph in your tank stable rather then low. I have a THRIVING 4in angelfish in my 30g and my Ph is never below 8. Usually it is closer to 8.5. Messing with the Ph can cause issues and if raised/lowered to quick can cause death.
My angel, with an adult black skirt tetra for scale

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120725_161522.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120725_161522.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 51
Thanks!
I don't use nor want to use salt either.
I thought the PH range for Angelfish is 6 to 8. And preferably 7. Are veil tails different?

Back
Top Bottom