Dead cory, I don't recognize this (pics included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnypseudo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
To start off I have:

10 gallon tank
1 double tail male betta
(now) 1 juli cory 1 spotted cory (had 2 juli cory)
temp 80
100 watt Aqueon heater
standard Aqueon filter
1 trimmed down amazon sword
a few scattered Egeria densa
ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 5.0 and 10 ppm
ph 7.8 (its high but stable)
3 fishy houses
Treated every tank change with freshwater salts (since I do 50% I only put in one tablespoon every time I change)
50% tank changes once a week

A little less than a month ago, we moved and I was VERY careful, probably overly cautious with my fish tank, checking all water levels, watching my fishes behavior ect. They handled the move just fine, and for the last three weeks, they've been looking better than ever. There was some fraying on my Betta which is ALL gone now, one of my cories had some minor fraying on his tail and (dorsal?) fin which was completely gone as well. Everything was going well until this morning. I check on my fish every day, though I've had them for.. since mid July? At any rate, one of my juilis I found dead at the bottom of my tank today when I was just starting to set up for cleaning. I usually wipe down the glass first then vacuum my gravel to try to cut down on floating crap. I treat the water then add it back in, usually in less than three minutes my water is completely clear after I'm done.

I guess to the fish, dead today, just started wiping down my glass, I have to shoo my fish away because they have no fear of me for some reason, and I fear that I may end up knocking them into something so I keep a close eye on where they are. I know the chances of me knocking them are slim but I am an overly paranoid fish parent, so I was surprised and saddened when I found my cory. I removed him to get a better look, he must have just died, his eyes hadn't even fully clouded yet and I noticed his little (or her I haven't been able to sex them the two julis look so similar I can't tell if if they were both girls or boys) belly was slightly swollen and his insides were looking like they were about to come out. I've read and researched many fish diseases and this didn't look like anything I've ever come across. I took pictures of the underside, on his (or her) side, and from the top. My first thought was dropsies but my cory didn't look nearly that swollen.

img_1569178_0_bbb8e08dabe28848e28386f7fededb34.jpg

img_1569178_1_14d7de41a4915dcdd0fca3e71a8ec26b.jpg

img_1569178_1_14d7de41a4915dcdd0fca3e71a8ec26b.jpg

I hope these are clear enough, I'm kinda stuck with a camera phone since my digital camera seems to take worse pictures..

I can't tell for sure. I don't have a huge amount of experience with corys. That said, I don't believe they can handle salt. And you indicate you've been putting salt in to your tank a lot.

How long have you had the corys?

Is your pH the same level as it was in the last house?

Yes, I tested my tap water before I re-set up my tank. It was suggested to me to do the salts to prevent diseases, over all health, ect. and to only replace the salt when doing a tank change. My other two cories have handled it (and until today) the third just fine. As stated above I've had all of them since July, I started doing the salt treatments in mid-August.

This might be helpful:

The Corydoras are quite sensitive to water parameters and quality, and highly intolerant of salt, chemicals and medications. Signs of stress usually begin with rapid respiration, then lethargy (often just "sitting" on plant leaves, wood or the substrate respirating heavily, sometimes near the surface) and sometimes rolling onto one side. At such signs, a partial water change of at least 50% with a good water conditioner should immediately be made, and appropriate steps taken to remove the cause. Any sudden fluctuation in water chemistry or temperature often induces shock, causing the fish to "faint" and fall over on its side. Corydoras introduced to new aquaria will settle in better if the tank is established; Cory's do not adjust well to a new aquarium with still-unstable water conditions and fluctuations.

Read more: Julii Cory (Corydoras julii) Profile

well I can certainly stop adding the salts, but those signs have never been shown in any of my cories, and I do spend a lot of time watching them.

It could be that the salinity level finally reached a point that they could not withstand it. If it were my tank, I'd be doing lots of 50% water changes to remove the salt from the tank.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Well I did a 60% today since I found the dead cory, and didn't add anymore of the salt today. I've only added half the salts that is directed, and for fear of over cleaning (which I've done) I'll just wait until I do my next tank change a week from now. When I've done PWC more than once a week, I tend to get a spike in ammo which I'm guessing has more to do with having such a small tank. Since that once, I never go more than once a week.

The underside looks red and inflamed. Could have been a bacterial infection of some sort. Not sure. I have a FW tank and i don't add salt. Generally it isn't needed unless you're treating for disease. Pwc shouldn't cause an ammonia spike in a cycled tank; I'd investigate why that's happening. Sorry about your Cory. :(

I started the salts because my Betta was beginning to get some white spots, and continued with salts after doing more research, (in which I never came across anything that said cories and other catfish are sensitive to salts.. until today searching that specifically) most fish enthusiasts suggested keeping salts in for better health, prevent disease and so on. I do know that a fully cycled tank isn't supposed to spike with a PWC, but since I had that one spike after doing a PWC every other day for a week (20% -30%s between my 50%) for treating my Betta, I decided to not do that again the ammo spikes scare the crap out of me.

I was worried that it could have been an infection, or well anything that could possibly mean bad news for my other fish. I had noticed before he died that his tummy was a little bigger than the other one, but it wasn't really noticeable, and I hadn't seen the underside so red and mad until after he died (its hard to see a fish's belly that likes to stay on their belly all the time). I've tried the best I can to get my other two cory to swim around enough until I could catch a glimpse of their tummies and they don't look swollen, bloated or red. Don't know if that's good news or time will tell thing..

Back
Top Bottom