Dead Dwarf!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Not from Lord of the Rings either...

I have a 55 gallon community with the following:
2 Pink Kisser Gouramis
1 (used to be two) Blue Dwarf Gouramis
3 Gold Gouramis
7 Red Minor Tetras
6 Zebra Danios
1 Pleco
1 Red Tail Shark

Yesterday I was chillin' playing my Gran Tourismo III and watching my fishies when I noticed that one of the pink kissers was sucking on a Dwarf who was sorta swimming sideways! I thought "hey, that's not very nice" so I looked closer - the Dwarf was still alive, but his fins were nipped badly. Moved him to a small hospital tank but he died about an hour later.

I've noticed that the kissers and the shark like to chase other fish around a bit, but nothing this aggressive had happened before. My plan now:

I'm going to get a 10 gallon on the way home tonight and move the remaining Dwarf, the tetras, and the danios to it. (I'm going to take established water and gravel to speed the cycle in it).

Then I'm going to get 2 baby oscars - I figure the kissers won't intimidate them so much. I know they'll get big down the road - I will make plans for the kissers when size difference becomes an issue.

What do you think? Thanks!

Update - I am now a victim of MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome).

I got a 10 gallon this weekend, and moved my tetras and remaining Dwarf Gourami to it. They seem okay, not quite happy though.

I then went out and got two baby albino Oscars for the big tank. They're currently sharing with my pink kissers, red tail shark, pleco, 3 gold gouramis, and 6 zebra danios. I'm aware that as they grow, this won't be an ideal situation anymore!

Planning to move the gold gouramis and the danios out first, then find a home for the pink kissers down the road.

The pinkies initially gave the Oscars a hard time, nipping and such, but I think the Oscars let them know that this wasn't acceptable behaviour! Now everyone gives the Oscars wide birth, even though they're the smallest fish in the tank!

Back
Top Bottom