Dead Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMichael

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a problem the last two times I have gotten fish. I usually get two at a time, and it seems one always dies. I get all my fish from my local Petsmart. I have a small algae problem but I did get a UV filter and that cleared up the water tremendously.I don't think that is the problem though. The first fish was a Dwarf Gourami that seem bloated before it died. The next fish was a Dalmatian Molly that just seemed shocked. I drip acclimate the fish as I have seen that is the best way.

I also clean my filter with tap water regularly because algae seems to collect on the floss restricting flow. I thought it wouldn't hurt because that was not where the BB grows.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Bloating (Gourami), No movement (Dalmatian Molly)
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia: .25-.5 ppm Yes it is high, but I was expecting a water change.
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5-10 ppm
Temp: 80F, Live in Georgia so house is a little warm right now.
pH: 7.6 This could be the problem?
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
20 Gallon Long, About a year.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Penguin Bio Wheel 150; Rated 150GPH
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
3 Red minor Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Dalmatian Molly
1 Pleco
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
About 1 1/2 weeks.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? For both the Gourami and Dalmation I had them only for a few days before they died. I drip acclimate all my fish for about an hour. Steadily removing water during that hour.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Only one decor piece. Washed before putting in the tank.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Dried flakes and Baby Shrimp

i suspect that the ammonia is your problem. how long has the tank be set up and did you cycle the tank? you should be doing daily water changes or even twice a day water changes until your ammonia gets down to 0. are you testing with liquid or strips? you really need your own liquid testing products and should test the ammonia everyday until it's down to 0. that's the magic number for ammonia. it can really be hard on your fish and make them weak and that leads to other disease problems.your other numbers look good and the ph is fine.

also clean your filter in old tank water that you take out when you're doing the water changes. bb also grows on the filter surface and the tap water will kill them off.

I was planning a water change today so that should help. The tank has been set up and cycled for a while now. I have the API master test kit so liquid.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom