Dead fish after new heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plugger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On Friday I installed a new submersible heater (the old one was recalled) in my 10-gallon tank which was filled with fancy-tail guppies. The next morning almost half of the fish were dead. I removed the heater and 12 hours later the rest were gone as well. I have had the tank in use for at least 12 years and have never had a problem. The water temperature was fine, about 78 degrees. A friend suggested that the heater may have had a short circuit and my fish were electrocuted. Any thoughts?

It is possible... But you say it was keeping temperature fine, right? Did you notice any water getting in the heater? And did you notice anything when you were installing it or removing it? Don't get yourself electrocuted testing it, but I've read of people feeling a little electrical tingling on their skin when electrical equipment has a short and they are working on their tanks. Also, fish are supposed to jerk/act weird when they can feel an electrical current. Did you notice any of this?

Last but not least, the heater could have been contaminated if say, it was stored in a warehouse where pesticides might have been used. I can't think of a way to know this for sure, but you may want to give your tank a good rinse out before trying to put fish back in there.

No, the fish did not act weird. But I don't think the heater ever actually kicked in, we're having warm weather and the water was maintaining a good temp on its own.

I did rinse the heater and suction cup apparatus before putting in the tank. I have cleaned the tank out completely and will not reuse the heater. I have contacted the manufacturer. Thanks for your reply.

Was the temperature constant the whole time or fluctuating? Did you raise the temp slowly? What's your water's parameters?

The temperature did not fluctuate. I keep it 78-80 degrees. I did not have to raise the temperature, this was an existing aquarium, simply installed a new heater.

This could also be a red herring. Did you change anything else at that same time? Why was the old heater recalled? What are your water parameters?

Plugger said:
The temperature did not fluctuate. I keep it 78-80 degrees. I did not have to raise the temperature, this was an existing aquarium, simply installed a new heater.

Did you test your water? Maybe it's just a coincidence that you installed a new heater.

What kind of heater was it and what size?

Sounds like something else is going on and the heater was simply a coincidence. If you pulled the heater and the rest died, how could it be the heater (shorting)?

Mr. Limpet said:
What kind of heater was it and what size?

Sounds like something else is going on and the heater was simply a coincidence. If you pulled the heater and the rest died, how could it be the heater (shorting)?

Agreed! After u removed it, did u check out ur remaining guppies?

The submersible heater is made by Marineland and was sized for a 10-gallon tank, which is what I have. Absolutely nothing else was changed at the same time as the new heater. Added 1/2 gallon water two weeks prior. I don't think it was the heater shorting. Half of the fish died in the first 12 hours, the rest died 12 hours after that. I think there may have been something toxic in the suction cup mechanism used to hold the heater to the side of the tank. The old heater was recalled (after 5 years) because of possible shorting and fire potential.

Perhaps that was it then. I am very sorry for your loss! 12 years is a long time to lose to a heater!

The submersible heater is made by Marineland and was sized for a 10-gallon tank, which is what I have. Absolutely nothing else was changed at the same time as the new heater. Added 1/2 gallon water two weeks prior. I don't think it was the heater shorting. Half of the fish died in the first 12 hours, the rest died 12 hours after that. I think there may have been something toxic in the suction cup mechanism used to hold the heater to the side of the tank. The old heater was recalled (after 5 years) because of possible shorting and fire potential.

I thought there was a comment on cleaning the heater prior to installing it, but maybe not. Mfg's use various substances to keep things moving on the line and it's possible a nonstick power of some sort could've been used on the suction cup production line. Like anything I put in/on my tanks, a thorough washing is a must.

Back
Top Bottom