dead fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vamptramp3405

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all. I have a 10 gallon fry tank. Ive raised several batches of molly fry from it that are now in the adult tank. I have a set in there now that range from a couple days to a couple months old. I have a preset submersible heater in there but havent been paying attention to the temp. the water just got tested a few minutes ago and its perfect. 0 amm 0 nitrate and 10 nitirite. water is clear. I have a filter on there rated for a 30-50 gallon tank on there. the filters are old but i have rinsed them off to get the big chunks off a few times. But recently I have babies of all ages just dieing. I keep finding them stuck to the filter :(. I know u lose some babies but im losing quite a few every day. they dont look injured or like they r sick, they just start looking skinney and then they die. one thing I noticed is the water sits at about 76. I put another heater in there from the big tank to warm it up and every one is swarmed around it. could they be dieing from being too cold??? please help

I can't say if the water was too cold or not... I can say that mine get sucked in the filter quite often. You can use panty hose to put over the intake and it will prevent the smaller ones from being sucked in. Our tank is set to 78 and usually gets to 80 in the day bc it's by windows.

No, it's not the temperature. It could be a disease, or it could be something that got into the tank, aerosol spray of some kind, stuff like that.

The first thing I would do is start doing some large water changes over the next few days, if there is something that got into the water, the wc's would help resolve that, and then start researching the symptoms and possible diseases.

Back
Top Bottom