Dead Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josecgomez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This morning I woke up to find 2 dead gurami s. Rest of the fish are happy and fine. No clue what happened.
Parameters
Ammonia 4 ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

What happened I added some water yesterday and everything went to heck.

I just added ammo lock should I do something about the Nitrite?

Yesterday for my water addition I use nutrafin aqua pkus. Could that have caused the spike?

This morning I woke up to find 2 dead gurami s. Rest of the fish are happy and fine. No clue what happened.
Parameters
Ammonia 4 ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

What happened I added some water yesterday and everything went to heck.

I just added ammo lock should I do something about the Nitrite?

4ppm of ammonia is deadly especially if your fish have been in it for a long time. You need to do a few big partial water changes to get your ammonia down as low as you can like .25ppm. Did you cycle your tank? Or are you familiar with a fish-in cycle.

Unless your water comes out of the tap with 4ppm of ammonia do the water changes to lower it. Worry about adding a chemical to neutralize it after its at a lower level.

Yeah the tank is about two months old. It was fine yesterday ammonia was at .225 and scrubbing else was fine. But I added some water since it was missing about a gal. Then this morning is all messed up

Yeah the tank is about two months old. It was fine yesterday ammonia was at .225 and scrubbing else was fine. But I added some water since it was missing about a gal. Then this morning is all messed up

Maybe the dead fish were releasing a ton of ammonia? Other wise unless something else is going on I dunno. I know gauramis can be really aggressive to each other, I had one dwarf kill the other when I first started fish keeping.

Very strange. I added ammo lock should I still do a water change? Supposedly ammo lock stops ammonia instantly.

Anything I should do about the Nitrite?

Very strange. I added ammo lock should I still do a water change? Supposedly ammo lock stops ammonia instantly.

Anything I should do about the Nitrite?

Ammo lock only detoxifies 3ppm of ammonia and since alot of the products the detoxify ammonia only do so for a limited amount of time(example:prime will detoxify for 24 hours, until the biological filtration can process it) yes I would absolutely do a water change.

Sad ok I'll do a partial change. What conditioner should I use? My water is chlorinated

Sad ok I'll do a partial change. What conditioner should I use? My water is chlorinated

Whatever conditioner you have that will treat chlorine and chloramines . If your ammonia was .25 before then your cycle isn't complete. So you should stay on top of water changes as keep testing for the next couple weeks. (Sorry, I don't know how much you know about the nitrogen cycle and biological filtration) if ammonia or nitrite gets over .25ppm do a water change to get it down. There's a couple good articles on this forum but I'm mobile so I can't link them. Have you tested your nitrates?

Nitrates are at 0 Ph is at 7 temperature is 74
I don't know much about fish cycling. I thought I did... I have had the tank for about two months. Without much problems. Test the water every other day so far this is the first problem

Nitrates are at 0 Ph is at 7 temperature is 74
I don't know much about fish cycling. I thought I did... I have had the tank for about two months. Without much problems. Test the water every other day so far this is the first problem

If nitrates are at 0 you definitely aren't cycled. In order to keep your water from hurting your fish you will need to do daily/every other day water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite(toxins) from building up. Don't change your filter media or rinse it with tap water because that kills all the good bacteria that eats the toxins. After a while you will see nitrates raise(this is a good thing) and ammonia disappear, then your nitrite will disappear then you will be cycled. Nitrates are safe under 40ppm but ideally you want to keep them under 20, the lower the better. If you feel the need to clean your filters swish them a bit in used tank water to get the chunks off but you want to keep the good bacteria living on it alive and chlorine kills it.

I did a 1/2 water change. Nitrite s are still at at least.5 ppm ammonia is shown

Back
Top Bottom