Dead guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
those guppies will completely take over if youre not careful! i wouldve gone with all female

those guppies will completely take over if youre not careful! i wouldve gone with all female

I had no intention of getting any females at first then I intended on only having a few but now if I have to put females with males I'm screwed. The reason I got the males is the colours and lets face it the females don't look half as nice as the males

I had no intention of getting any females at first then I intended on only having a few but now if I have to put females with males I'm screwed. The reason I got the males is the colours and lets face it the females don't look half as nice as the males

You aren't screwed necessarily. If you don't want babies then just let the other fish eat them. But I do think if you got more female for the males they would be less aggressive.

You aren't screwed necessarily. If you don't want babies then just let the other fish eat them. But I do think if you got more female for the males they would be less aggressive.

Well ill give it a try and see how it goes if not ill have a females only tank which is what I was thinking about doing because the mrs doesn't want any of the fry to get eaten and there's only so much I can lie to her and tell her they won't be aide I have lots of plants

I wouldn't put females in- the aggression will just be redirected- the females will be harassed and nipped at PLUS you will be over run with fry in a matter of months.
I had a tiny fry I couldn't catch in a planted 6ft tank. As it grew to half an inch it became clear that it was a male. It began chasing and nipping my juvenile Congo tetras, and since my African cats hadn't obliged me by eating him, I had to do it myself. Lucky for me he is as dumb as he is randy- he was the easiest fish I've ever netted. Now he's in a tank with the rest of his kind- I can't give them away quick enough (lfs here won't take home bred guppies)

I wouldn't put females in- the aggression will just be redirected- the females will be harassed and nipped at PLUS you will be over run with fry in a matter of months.
I had a tiny fry I couldn't catch in a planted 6ft tank. As it grew to half an inch it became clear that it was a male. It began chasing and nipping my juvenile Congo tetras, and since my African cats hadn't obliged me by eating him, I had to do it myself. Lucky for me he is as dumb as he is randy- he was the easiest fish I've ever netted. Now he's in a tank with the rest of his kind- I can't give them away quick enough (lfs here won't take home bred guppies)

I can cope with being over run by guppies as I know a few people around me who have tanks but I don't want the females to get picked on so I guess I'll keep them separate for the time being, any suggestions on how I can stop any bullying/fin nipping?

Are the guppies just nipping at each other, or are they nipping the other fish too?
Do you have plants and wood in your tank? As well as providing cover, it gives them more opportunities to forage. If you have one particular guppy that is a bully, I'd rehome him.

Are the guppies just nipping at each other, or are they nipping the other fish too?
Do you have plants and wood in your tank? As well as providing cover, it gives them more opportunities to forage. If you have one particular guppy that is a bully, I'd rehome him.

I attached a picture of my tank to show the plants etc, I do want some drift wood but do I have to treat it before putting it in the tank or anything first? I have one that was picking on a particular fish and it was looking a little sad if that makes sense so I put him with the females and now the bully fish is fine and hasn't picked on anyone else since

Attachments

• image-2392747195.jpg
    image-2392747195.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 55
Sounds like you have it sorted :)

I like to boil my driftwood and then soak it till it sinks. Having said that, I have a 5' piece in my 6' tank that I couldn't prepare other than blasting it with a pressure washer. It's being held down with a couple of rocks till it sinks- should take a couple of months. I had a piece that took 6 months once- it was so buoyant that I had to resort to using a 10kg dumbbell to hold it down. :lol:

Sounds like you have it sorted :)

I like to boil my driftwood and then soak it till it sinks. Having said that, I have a 5' piece in my 6' tank that I couldn't prepare other than blasting it with a pressure washer. It's being held down with a couple of rocks till it sinks- should take a couple of months. I had a piece that took 6 months once- it was so buoyant that I had to resort to using a 10kg dumbbell to hold it down. :lol:

I don't have access to a pressure washer or able to boil it because I want a rather large piece, would soaking it in the bath with as much boiling water as possible from the kettle work? How long should I soak it for?

Thanks for all the help btw pixie

I don't have access to a pressure washer or able to boil it because I want a rather large piece, would soaking it in the bath with as much boiling water as possible from the kettle work? How long should I soak it for?

Thanks for all the help btw pixie

they have pressure washers at those diy carwashes.
you could also soak it in a cooler

they have pressure washers at those diy carwashes.
you could also soak it in a cooler

Yup, soaking in the tub would work too, so long as you don't need to use it for a while ;-)
Give it a good scrub with a brush too.
How long you soak it depends on how long it takes for it to sink, and how long it takes to leech out the tannins (if you don't like the amber tinge to the water- but you can use purigen or carbon to get rid of that when its in your tank).

Back
Top Bottom