Dead plec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisb2011

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a tiny plec like the size of a 50 p Piece and I can't see him anywer in the tank I looked everywhere when doing a clean today if he is dead somewhere will he be ok just left to rot in my tank I have catfish oscars parrots and Texas cichilids in a 260 litre tank and they may eat him I'm thinking

Anything that is dead in your tank will decompose and have unhealthy side effects on your water. But if another fish got him then you're probably in the clear, as long as he didn't die from some disease.

Well I noticed a week ago all his fins shredded all of them and they wer healing up quickly and nicely now can't find him if he is dead and nothing eats him wi it be ok

Well like I said if he is left to rot in the tank then it may throw your nitrites out of balance, but chances are if he can't be found he has been eaten. Are any of your other fish big enough to eat him?

With that many large cichlids in a relatively small tank you're going to have bigger problems than a missing pleco. The Oscar alone needs a tank at least twice as big as your 260 litre.

You have a tank of thugs there. If the pleco was "tiny" as you put it, it is quite likely to have become lunch. Plecos can be hard in the digestive system though, so keep an eye on your fish

Back
Top Bottom