dead pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ankit123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
one of my 2 common pleco died today morning for no region it seems. i have 2 pleco 1 is 4.5 " and dead one was 6". he din't have any diseases either. he was just fine.i think it is because of hunger because i touched his belly and it was very floppy like if a skin had been kept over a empty box.

Don't ask! Very small for pleco .just 23 gallon but I was gonna sift him to a bigger tank.

Starvation most likely. I had the same issue as they got larger. Even tried feeding the algae pellets but not enough I guess. So I got 2 chinese algae eaters instead, they are not as efficient but wont starve to death either.

Starvation most likely. I had the same issue as they got larger. Even tried feeding the algae pellets but not enough I guess. So I got 2 chinese algae eaters instead, they are not as efficient but wont starve to death either.

Watch out for CAE as they only eat algae as juvies and will eat body slime off of slow or sleeping fish. They get aggressive and nasty and can get quite large as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For the remaining Common, Driftwood, blanched Zucchini, Romaine, shelled green peas, blood worms are all good food. Plus a bigger tank. Use a veggie clip or SS fork to hold big stuff still.

Check water parameters, do more frequent water changes as they are poop machines, till you can get him into a 150g

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd say be really careful with those algae eaters too. I had one that was pretty efficient at cleaning when it was young, but it grows fast and injured a lot of my slower, older fish.

today i bought 2 pleco each 1" long.what i did was sifted my 4.5" pleco in the 29 and the 2 small ones in in the 8 g where my 4.5" pleco was

Are these common plecos, if so they get way to large for an 8g. No plecos is small enough to stay in a 8g and they produce so much waste for their size

Stop putting Plecos in such a small tank. No Pleco species should be in less than 30g.

Do you just like Plecos or do you have a major algae issue ??

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-experts/wiegert/the-pleco-predicament.aspx

Not my pic but an example of common Pleco size with proper care.
f34989000f95edc1c74fde5276747e1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some thing is rally bad.one of the 1" pleco died last night.i shifted the second one in a planted with a lot of algae in it.

Back
Top Bottom