Dear god tell me shes just bloated..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got a female sword tail (( on accident.. )) and noticed she got a little friendly.. with my male swordtail.. And she starting to get bigger.. How long does it usually take for signs to surface of pregnancy for livebearers and how much time do i have to get a qt tank for her just in case...

easiest way to get fry to last a while is to use a floating live plant like hornwort or najas grass.

They breed faster than rabbits and all she had to do was look cros-eyed at the male to get knocked-up :roll: .
If all your water parameters are good and she's otherwise normal, eating, breathing, swimming and ect... Then I wouldn't worry too much about disease and get ready for fry, or not, the adults will happily take care (eat) them for you.

Well, a pregnant swordtail is actually pretty easy to determine. Obviously it will be rounder, and eventually will show a gravid spot in her lower belly. This will be easier to see before feeding her. It will take about 4wks before she drops. If you are unsure, go ahead and move her to QT. She will be less stressed there and a better survival rate for the babies.

I believe the platy and sword tail females can store sperm for a long time, so that the male in your tank is not necessarily the father of the fry you are expecting. I think they can also have multiple batches of fry from stored sperm, so even future fry might not have any relation to the male in your tank. Isolate the pregnant female in a tank that also has fry cover, or add fry cover to the tank she is in now. One day you will notice the funny little things hovering around the fry cover, and a few of them might even be quick enough and smart enough to grow up.

I had a Platy that I just thought was well fed, didn't notice the fry till it was too late. Now I keep some fry cover in the tank for next time.

AFAIK all female livebearers can and do store sperm and so will have multiple broods as a result of one breeding.

Problem.. My mom wont let me get a qt tank or any other kind of tank even though its my money. Anyone know anyway to make a make-shift qt tanK?

A rubbermaid tub with a submersible heater and drop in sponge filter. You can use a cheap clip on drop light or a standing light for your lighting. Doesn't have to cost alot or take up much space. Could even be kept in the closet if you be sure the light doesn't contact any of your stuff.

8O Cant do that either... to expensive plus.. id might aswell go and buy a tank with the whole set up for 25 dollars.... X.x im in a bit of a predicament now arent i...X.X

You could also just get the breeding net that hangs inside of your main tank. After she has the babies just get her out and leave the babies in the net. I will save you a lot of time and trouble.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: !!!!! Could i perhaps make like.. a net... and divide a small portion of my tank up and put my female in there then take her out... then it will keep her and all my other fish from devouring fry?... How small would the net holes have to be..

Back
Top Bottom