Debating use of Hydrogen Peroxide solution on Bettas tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone on this board used a 1/2 Hydrogen Peroxide 1/2 water solution on a fishes tail fin? I have a fish that may or may not be recovering from fin rot. The affected areas are falling off but he has a fungus (I am pretty sure it is fungal) on the dead tissue. I am using Maroxy (not sure it is helping) and water changes every day. Anything else that would be helpful?

He has already been through a slew of meds so I am not wanting to do more.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend using hydrogen peroxide. It can damage tissue, kill the bacteria, and you're fish.
Anyways, how concentrated if you're hydrogen peroxide? 3%?

I believe it is the regular over the counter hydrogen peroxide. If it is dangerous I won't do it. I came across the suggestion while reading up on fin rot. On the internet.

I would use it on a single area such as a sore but not an entire tail unless there realistically isnt another option (ie, you live in country with very limited/no access to meds). It will not kill a fish unless you are putting a fish in pure peroxide to live. Peroxide is used in tanks to increase oxygen levels in an emergency or to negate the effects of potassium permagnate. I do know some old school keepers that will dip a fish peroxide (or even bleach solutions) to remove parasites but its not something I would recommend to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom