Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Deceased praecox rainbow

I have kept a group of praecox rainbows with some cory cats for five months with no problems. But when I walked into my office this morning, I found one of praecox rainbows upside-down on the bottom of the tank.

The building has central air, which is set at a higher temp over the weekends. This weekend was in the 90s, and the digital thermometer on my desk said it reached 83 inside the office. I assume the tank temperature was close to 83 as well. I normally have the tank at around 76-78. I looked carefully at the body, didn't see anything obviously wrong with her. Shouldn't tropicals tolerate 83, or did my poor fish die from the heat?

Old 06-03-2003, 03:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

As long as there was sufficient aeration, the rainbows should have been able to easily tolerate 83 degrees IMO.

Old 06-06-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, tropical fish can tolerate temps as high as 86 degrees. Since your office was 83 degrees the tanks water would be a little lower around 80 degrees which is not high enough to suffocate the fish. I would keep an eye on the rest of your fish and their behaviour. Check the water for pH and Ammonia levels. If you haven't already done so, change some water in the fish tank...approx. 15-20% I am pretty sure the fish didn't die because of the temperature of the water. Check the water, also let us know how often you do partial water changes, what do you feed the fish and how often, also if you notice any abnormal behaviour (fish not eating, glancing off the gravel, fish look pale and do not move around...etc) hope the rest of your fish are doing OK
Old 06-07-2003, 01:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I confess I haven't checked the pH levels in a while, but the last time I looked my tank was at about 7.5. There hasn't been any ammonia since the tank finished cycling. As for water changes, I change between 25-33% of the water in my 10 gallon tank once a week.

The rainbows are fed TetraMin granules and freeze dried bloodworms. The corys get Wardley brine shrimp pellets and Bio-Blend bottom feeder tablets. I would guess I feed the rainbows two or three times a day. Occasionally I will feed all the fish tubifex worms.

I have not noticed any changes in their behavior lately, but the praecox males have always chased the females around the tank. I have seen them displaying to the females with no success. Is it possible the female was bullied to death by the males? Both males and females are fully grown, and the males are now significantly larger than the females.

But as of this moment, all the fish seem happy. Of course I thought the same thing when I left the office last Friday.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com