Denison/Torpedo Barbs - split fins & white lumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiddett

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank with quite a wide selection of fish. For quite a while now I have had a problem with a Red Tail Shark that regularly chases my 2 Denison Barbs which are both full grown at about 4-5 inches in length. The Shark is smaller at 3-4 inches. I know that the Denison's get stressed by this chasing but have not done anything about it as my only real option is to get rid of the Shark.
Last week I noticed one of the Denisons had a small white spot on his body and was concerned about it but after a couple of days it seemed to shrink and disappear on its own. But now I have noticed that both Denisons have splits along the centre of their Tail fins and both are developing whiteish slightly lumpy looking patches down the length of their bodies. I guess that this is an illness brought on by the stress but I do not know what the illness is or how to treat it. Please can anyone give me some advice?
I know that the only long term solution is to seperate the Denisons from the Shark so I will try to rehome the Shark with a friend or LFS if I can get the Denisons back to full health.

The shark thinks they are the same species and invading his home. Their body type is close enough for him to get aggressive with them. I would return him and and get a couple more Denisons they will be happier that way.

Back
Top Bottom