Desperately need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short my Grandma got a 55g off CL it had a GF mixed with tropicals. We have been working on moving him in the meantime he has been in80/82 temps. He has developed a case of fin rot. I was trying to cycle the 45 we were movin him to so I put established filter media. Ive shown no nitrates for about a week. I told them to be adding fish food. The fish tank also had salt in it. The new tank has been running about a week or more. We added salt bc my grandma wants salt and I figure since that is what he is used to it would be best and would help with the fins. I figured it would be better to have him in cooler water as week bc he is a GF( dunno if this was a good call ) i have added pimafix and malefix. I know it shouldn't really be mixed with salt but he's always been in salt...

This poor little fish. I don't know what is the best thing to do. I'm not there everyday and cannot tend to him daily. If u have the solution to this little guys health. PLEASE HELP... my grandma would be so sad if he died and so would I. I'm in tears over the little guy

I think he was a victim of fin nipping and developed fin rot... Idk... I should have moved him sooner.

img_1509072_0_dca18d43081ce4249796708a529007f6.jpg

img_1509072_1_9863edee6a78febe2d7372826c83c90d.jpg

img_1509072_2_18d962c0296eb16ff1f80c565cb60c58.jpg

In a cycled tank you should be showing nitrates. What is his current temperature at? How much salt are you adding and is it aquarium salt and not marine salt? How much fin rot does he have? Any chance of a picture?

Usually pimafix and melafix and regular water changes, (daily while cycling) will help with the fin rot. The fin rot could be brought on by stress.

The salt will definitely help. The fish should be on colder water but right now water changes will be the best thing in conjunction with aquarium salt.

This is horrible quality. Long story... But poor guy is having it rough. I'm hopping for full recovery

Thank u guys so much for the speedy reply. I'm so upset over him. So if my dad can help my grandma with daily pwc we did the right thing?? The temp just a little under 70. Somewhere in the 60s... I do believe he was stressed. There were angelfish tormenting him :(

My grandma is going through a lot and she
Loves this fish ( my grandpa passed away 6m ago ) I wanted her fish to help bring her happiness. I hope and pray he makes it.

Aquarium salt and... We used a tbs per 10g I believe or what the bag states

Idk why it's not showing nitrates???

Just keep up with the pwc and he should be back to full health in no time :) good luck

For now keep it around 74 F. How quickly did you change him from the 80-82 to below 70? Just raise it a degree every 6-12 hours. Too much change and it will shock him too much. Do the water changes and add the salt. The melafix and pimafix will help too. After treatment, I'd take him off the salt. It isn't necessary in a FW tank.

Zagz said:
For now keep it around 74 F. How quickly did you change him from the 80-82 to below 70? Just raise it a degree every 6-12 hours. Too much change and it will shock him too much. Do the water changes and add the salt. The melafix and pimafix will help too. After treatment, I'd take him off the salt. It isn't necessary in a FW tank.

Well I moved him from one tank to another and I floated him for about 15- 25 mins
( don't member exact time bc I was busy adding the ness to the water ) I figured he would have less stress in the cooler water since he is a coldwater fish

Changing temperatures too quickly is stressful. Just raise it a degree every 6-12 hours until it is around 74, he is a fancy goldfish and they prefer temps a bit warmer than common goldfish.

Zagz said:
Changing temperatures too quickly is stressful. Just raise it a degree every 6-12 hours until it is around 74, he is a fancy goldfish and they prefer temps a bit warmer than common goldfish.

Wouldn't that stress him out to change it again? I can't really do anything about the temp now seeing it's my grandmas fish at her house :((

Zagz said:
In a cycled tank you should be showing nitrates. What is his current temperature at? How much salt are you adding and is it aquarium salt and not marine salt? How much fin rot does he have? Any chance of a picture?

Usually pimafix and melafix and regular water changes, (daily while cycling) will help with the fin rot. The fin rot could be brought on by stress.

Oscarr19 said:
The salt will definitely help. The fish should be on colder water but right now water changes will be the best thing in conjunction with aquarium salt.

He looks like he's lost weight should she feed medicated food as well ??

I don't think medicated food is necessary as long as the fish is eating fine.

Back
Top Bottom