Dieing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 20. Temp 76-78F.

Two days ago i had lost my clown loach, and today i just lost my pimodella catfish. Diet was TetraMin Tropical flakes every day, wardley shrimp pellets everothe day , and frozen brine shrimp on the off days from the shrimp pellets. All other fish are doing well, No ich is present and its been a couple month now since i have treated for it and niether of these fish where present at time of treatment. The Loach was about two months and the cat was three weeks. All other fish are doing well.. tank mates were:

2 Angels
1 Blue Garoumi
6 Tigerbarbs (2 adults and 4 younger)
3 Neons
2 mollys
2 sword tails

Any ideas anyone??

I am not sure if this is right, but could the pH be way off or have something to do with it? Just a thought. Most of my knowledge is still form research, not experience so forgive me if this has nothing to do with it. How often do you do PWC's?

20ppm of nitrate is as high as I like to see, but it's not deadly. The other parameters look ok too. Large pH swings are bad for the fish, but they're unusual.

How big is the tank?
Were either of these fish picked on, possibly by one another?
What kind of substrate are you using?
How is your tank decorated?

20ppm of nitrate is as high as I like to see, but it's not deadly. The other parameters look ok too. Large pH swings are bad for the fish, but they're unusual.

How big is the tank?
Were either of these fish picked on, possibly by one another?
What kind of substrate are you using?
How is your tank decorated?

Thats is were the nitrate level usually seems to hang both before and after the PWC.. it dont seem to change much and i didnt see it any reason to be alarmed.. maybe this weekend ill do a 50%.

The cat was bigger than all the other fish with exception of the gourami and he was fast. i never seen anyone picking on him although he did hang out up at the top of the tank all the time ever since i got him. he is always eating well and swam around a lot. He was seen this morning swimming like normal.. then i seen him sitting at the bottom not moving but still alive. I watched him for about an hour and finally i seen a molly hovering over him.. then kinda started picking at him then. I figured that was it for him so i separated him in the tank from the others until he died.

As for the clown loach , he was actually usually the one that would chase something down every now and again.. he was never picked on though. He, also, ate very well.

The tank is a 55gal. The substrate is a pebble type and light brown. the pebbles are all mostly 3/8 to 1/2" diameter and smooth.

I am not sure if this is right, but could the pH be way off or have something to do with it? Just a thought. Most of my knowledge is still form research, not experience so forgive me if this has nothing to do with it. How often do you do PWC's?

+1 for ph, kinda. You have alot of softwater fish, what is your gh/kh? The gouramis, neons and especially the angels will need a softer water.

Also, I would watch the tigar barbs with the angels and gourami.

I dont have any other water perameters other than what i put up. As far as the tiger barbs, they all kinda just stick to them selves. The black molly i have is actually more of a bully to the other fish than the barbs are. They are always just kind of spinning around in circles in their own little pack.

Anyway, im going to try to get a WS down to the LFS and get them to test for more water perameters.

Back
Top Bottom