Dirty platy scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 5-month old female sunset platy looks like she needs a scrubbing. It looks like there is some dirt on some of her scales on her dorsal area in front of her dorsal fin. Picture a fish taking a tumble in mud, and a little mud is stuck behind some scales. It really doesn't show up in pics. Can algae grow on a platy? I've pored through books and can't find anything.

Other than that, I have noticed she's 'breathing' quickly. She has always breathed quicker than my other fish, since she was born, so I don't think that's much of an indication. Of course, I could be wrong.

Any help for the dirty platy?

How do you bathe a fish?
That's like asking what one should add to powdered water. :D

Seriously, though, the platies look beautiful in the pics - I can't see anything amiss at all. Maybe what you're seeing is just a few scuffed scales?
I can't imaging algae being able to grow on a fish on account of the slime coat.

IMHO, I think you're just being an worried fish-mom :wink:

BTW. I've never seen any mickey mouse platies at my lfs - he's so colorful!

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but isnt there a bac. or infection that can cause dark, blotchy spots on some fish? I dont remember if its one of those, or a parasite. But then again I may be totally mistaken not sure.

Yeah, LAGlocker, there is a bacterial infection (called fungus for some strange reason) that caues dark blotches. My serpaes and I have suffered through two bouts with it. The fish usually show other signs too, like lethargy, clamped fins, and reduced appetite. I was able to nail a mild case of it with MelaFix and PimaFix in combination.

Is the platy in question just a sunset platy or a sunset wagtail platy? I noticed that you keep both. I'm going to assume it is the first one. I think that you should be ok with it as long as she doesn't show any of the typical signs of illness. If she does start showing other signs then I would use QTOFFER's advice to try and clear it up.

BTW, your blue mickey mouse platys are an awesome color of blue! Mine really almost look white until they get under the light just right. I am envious of you for that!

Yes, it is a non-wagtail sunset platy. I've been watching her super-closely for almost a week now. No other signs of illness, so I guess I might be a worried fish-mom, as QTOFFER says. But like any other worry wart, I'm still gonna keep my eye on her!

And btw, thanks for all the compliments on my blue mickey mouse platy! He's a charmer, that one! :wink: All of the SuperPet chain stores around here stock plenty of mickey mouse platies.

Back
Top Bottom