Disappearing/Sick Neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I'm new to this so hopefully i'll do this right!

I set up my first FW tropical tank a few months ago after doing a fishless cycle for about a month (added the occassional bit of flake food with heater/filter etc set up). Its a small tank of 55 litres with temperature of 24C/73F and i keep an eye to the water parameters (nitrates & ammonium - no problems so far). I do a 20% water change every 2-3 weeks (chlorine etc made safe and left for at least one overnight/day before changing) with a gravel clean on every second partial water chage.

I added 2 guppies and 4 tetras (not sure of common name - look like lemon tetras but aren't) after the fishless cycle. They have thrived and are getting bigger by the day! Two weeks ago i added 5 neon tetras (intended as last addition to the tank apart from maybe a male guppy to add a bit of interest to my 2 females!). These looked to have settled in very quickly and like the rest were enjoying their food. By the way - when i add fish in i net them from the bag and don't mix the shop water into my tank.

In less than a week 2 of the neons just seemed to have disappeared - no bodies found. I didn't notice any signs of sickness with any of them. In the meantime everyone else is very happy.

Then neon number 3 disappeared the following week but i did notice a problem the night before with this one. He/she was staying away from others, had less of an appetite and its dorsal fin was curled with the area beneath it gone pale in colour. The following day this little neon was gone and again i couldn't find a body.

The last disappearance/death was about 4 days ago. As before everyone else is very happy and hungry! Even the remaining two neons have grown since arriving a couple of weeks ago & are continuing to thrive.

Could this be the infamous Neon Disease? Before i replace the 'disappeared' i will keep an eye on the others to see if anything happens - is there anything else i can do?

Apologies for rambling on but just wanted to give the full picture!

Neons, although pretty hardy, have a unique habit of vanishing without a trace. In most cases, they pass and are drawn into filter intakes or under decorations. If you had some aggressive eaters that would have been the other explanation. I wouldn't think NTD unless you visibly observed the condition.

Neons do have issues with water temps and ph values so I would start there.

Thanks for you quick reply Jchillin. I did check the filter and decorations but didn't find anything & the water temp is ok. I will check the ph to see if could have contributed. The two that are left were the biggest/strongest ones from day one so it may be just a case of survival of the fittest here - i hope so anyway!

Having read other threads before posting mine - it does look as if neons have a fairly quick turnover. I must say that i really did enjoy their antics when they were moving around the tank together.

Thanks again.

No problem, glad to help. I love the way neons look in a planted tank, so I now have schools in two of my tanks. Over time, the numbers have dwindled and I expected as much but I will keep them.

Then neon number 3 disappeared the following week but i did notice a problem the night before with this one. He/she was staying away from others, had less of an appetite and its dorsal fin was curled with the area beneath it gone pale in colour.

and its dorsal fin was curled with the area beneath it gone pale in colour.

Neon disease

I had the exact same thing happen. I bought 8 neon tetra's because I they are schooling fish and one by one they would completely disappear. I did see one of them at the bottom being eaten by a shrimp but he had scavenged it I'm sure. It was really weird. They were pretty but didn't work out for me. I'm new to aquariums and still experiencing some "growing pains" on what I should keep in my tank.

Neons are very nice fish, especially in large schools, but tend to be very sensitive fish that can die pretty quickly for lots of different reasons. If indeed it was NTD then there is nothing you could have done differently.

Back
Top Bottom