Discus disease. Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemont23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
As far as I can tell the discus are the ones affected. There seems to be some white spots? In addition there's a few tiny hollow dots on some of their faces, darting, twitching, hiding.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
temp 30 c (86 f)

pH 7.5-8

ammonia reading 0

nitrite reading 0

nitrate reading 5

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
407 l - 107 G, for about 10 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Fluval fx4

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
7 discus, 5 loaches. Ranging from 2.5 inch to 6 inch, the loaches are 2-3 inch.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Today did a 80% wc, for the 7 last days everyday 50-80% wc. Before 1-2 50% wc a week.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
3 discus are 4 months, and the other 4 are about 10 months in the tank,
5 clown loaches - 3 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I believe it very slowly began worsening when I started feeding them frozen foods, few months ago.

I have made a video of my discus, and cut out the parts where symptoms are visible. I've done a 80% wc before filming and gave them some food a few hours later, but the 2 discus that can be seen at the very end of the video didn't eat as far as I can tell. I also couldn't see any spots one their sides, only some hollow dots on the face. The floating stuff, I can't understand where it is coming from. Every time after I've finished doing a wc and turn on the filter, it releases air together with these particles even though I have cleaned the filter about a week ago. Can someone take a look at the video and tell me how should I treat them, please, Because now I'm very confused. Thank you!!

Gunk get stuck in the filter tubes it usually blows out the mess that sits in the hoses.

It seems maybe like Ick and hole in the head.

Feeding frozen foods - will cause more issues when there is uneaten food, turns to ammonia quickly.

Back
Top Bottom