discus headstander x.x help!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just realized one of my discus is having a bad swim bladder problem x.x he's completely upside down most of the time and really bloated.. my dads going to be extremely mad and blame this on me so if there's anything I can do please let me know :banghead:

Do you have a qt tank? Are you sure about swim bladder? Is the bloating even, or lopsided?
Also, do you have a test kit to check your water parameters?

The bloating is even, no I don't have a qt, I'm more on the side of overeating than swim bladder now (i looked it up and it said discus will just eat too much of they're fed too much and then they'll be super constipated), and my readings are normal. 0, 0, 40 (I know, a little high) but nothing has changed at all in the tank so. Yea.

Well, swim bladder issues can be from multiple sources, on of which is blockage from food. Definitely try fasting to see if it helps. You can do the same pea treatment commonly used on bettas as well, but doing that is difficult if the fish can't stay upright. An epsom salt bath might help though.
I would do a pwc to get the nitrates down a bit. No, 40 is certainly not the end of the world, but the fish is already stressed from its bloating, then raised nitrates will take a greater toll of it.

absolutangel04 said:
Well, swim bladder issues can be from multiple sources, on of which is blockage from food. Definitely try fasting to see if it helps. You can do the same pea treatment commonly used on bettas as well, but doing that is difficult if the fish can't stay upright. An epsom salt bath might help though.
I would do a pwc to get the nitrates down a bit. No, 40 is certainly not the end of the world, but the fish is already stressed from its bloating, then raised nitrates will take a greater toll of it.

Yea today is pwc day. I actually fed peas yesterday :/ I sure wish I had a qt. if only my new tank were finished cycling... Either way, I won't be feeding tonight. Thanks

Can you get a picture? Even though it's likely just dietary bloat, pictures can still be helpful just to make sure. :)

Yea I know its not recommended but I actually added it to the whole tank and Imma do a water change here in a bit and redo it. I can't do the bath because my dad won't allow me to. He's always thinking that stuff like that will kill the fish x.x his colors keep going from dark to bright o_O actually even brighter than he is any other time which is weird. Like you can actually see very distinct lines on him like the checkerboard variety has. Normally they're pretty blended in.

Hopefully the salt helps. Just to cover all bases, what all kinds of fish do you have? Anything new? Just making sure for the salt dosage, that's all. Also, new things can bring thing in with them, and it's always good to rule out other possibilities just to make sure. I do agree though that I think the issue is swim bladder, hopefully diet related.

Last edited:
No I have nothing new. Unfortunately I have bn plecos and kuhli loaches so this may be very bad for them and you may very strongly disagree with my plan of action but honestly the discus cost $60 and the others like $5... I really do feel really awful but idk what else I can do honestly.

Bnp should be fine through a salt treatment. I tend to think the kuhlis will be too. Since it's just for a short time, it should hopefully be ok for everybody.

Good news, I think he's ok! I didn't feed them last night. Do you think I should skip feeding today too or would that be too much?

Way too much. I know it sounds like a stupid excuse but my dad was feeding them and when I told him he was feeding them the wrong things, and way way too much, he said "well they act hungry" x.x :banghead: so I'm taking over today. He was feeding them tetramin flakes and hikari discus pellets in the morning, then 3 cubes of frozen bloodworms and 3 cubes of frozen brine shrimp and some hikari cichlid gold all at night x.x he wouldn't let me take over until now.

Back
Top Bottom