Discus not doing so well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treej

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Issue at hand is my I've noticed over the past several days my snow white discus has had either their fins pecked at by the rest of the pack (9 discus in total in a 90 gallon planted tank) or if they have a disease of some sort I've checked all the water and everything is reading fine and no issues with the other 9 discus just the one snow white ...I haven't noticed anything wrong or odd about the poop but that's the other issue is that now its not eating. Very slow swimmer and loosing a lot of weight ..should I try different foods ? Currently using brine shrimp haven't picked up bloodworms for a while ...but still I really have no clue what the issue could be I just recently separated the snow white from the rest of the discus in case of spreading diseases and hopefully to see a change in deteriorating fins ....any help or ideas

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The snow white , will try to get some better pictures

Attachments

• 1401479305285.jpg
    1401479305285.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1401479341644.jpg
    1401479341644.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 64
What's your WC schedule ? More than likely this is due to poor water. Also, how old is the tank, what age/size are they, filtration, and all water parameters ? How long have you had them and where did they come from ? I wouldn't separate as this may become an issue when reintroducing. Brine shrimp is okay but I would look to add beef heart to the diet as soon as you can. Blood worms are good but not as nutritious IMO.

WC is biweekly basis, the tank has been established for well over 5 years with just community fish, and I had received them from a dealer about 11/2 yr ago with no issues till now they have grown at different rates so I'm saying 4" - 5 3/4" . Also I have an aquaclear 110 and a fluval c4 I'm not exactly sure where he had purchased them I will look into getting beef heart tonight but so far there is literally no interest in eating what so ever ...poop looks fine as well as little as there is

Well they sound like they're in good hands as you've had them that long and have had good growth. I would def up your WC's. I do 50% every 2 days and 100% (yes, fish flopping around on the bottom glass) once a week and they all love it !!! My newest acquisitions in February came in at 4.5" and 5" and both are just near the 6" mark. If you go with 50% every 2-3 days you'll begin to see a drastic improvement by the second WC. With that many, I would suggest making your own beef heart mix to save a few bucks. Little time consuming the first time but so worth it in the end.

Alright well thanks a ton for the advice I'm going to start with the water changes and see if it does help but at this point it seems a little to late ...but you never know with these guys thanks for the info I'll give it a try

You're very welcome !!! Quite honestly I think you'd be quite surprised with the WC's. I've seen others with similar conditions and after recommending the larger more frequent WC's and no meds it's been incredible. They aren't difficult fish but somewhat high maintenance lol. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401561505.757505.jpg

Here's two of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom