Discussion for sunken belly fish issues, Guppies, internal parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a newbie where a non visible - parasite as opposed to velvet/ick - disease & treatment are concerned, but will chime in where I can or simply lurk in the background learning [emoji854]
I have lost multiple guppies mainly females to symptoms like the ones in the title, but with no VISIBLE symptoms had not even given internal parasites a passing thought ::facepalm:: so I am DEFINITELY following

Sunken belly can be a result of internal parasites, vitamin/nutritional deficiency, and TB /Fish Tuberculosis.

Anyone have other known causes?

Numerous times, I have had Guppies dies with similar condition die. Lower abdomen/stomach area increasingly hollows and then death.

earhtmother - you had mentioned (on a different thread) this happening after a, Guppy specifically, gave birth. I

This happened to me one time, I remember a fish dying after giving birth and died and the belly looked hollow. within a week later, might have been a few days.

Earlier on I had not seen this type if illness in my tanks.

After a few rounds of losing fish like that, I realized it was likely to be internal parasites.

This was cemented by a group of special fish which came from a serious Guppy breeder and "should" have been fine. and was not and lost the trio within a month or 2.

Then I began treating all new fish with a week of deworming fish flake food. The medication was Fenbendozole.

After that, my new fish additions seemed to be much more vigorous and healthy.

At some point year before last year, I didn't have the medication anymore and failed to buy more as my original supplier was out of stock for an extended period of time.

May also mention that the liquid medication was solidly rejected by numerous attempts with different fish.

Since for a period of time back when I ran out, I wasn't really buying many new fish it sort of slipped by.

Then more recently I could not get it near me - checked all around the stores who recommended the liquid and soaking food which was in my mind a waste of time trying to get fish, not too interested in eating to eat weird yucky food!

I have been teetering about my medicated fish food flake order as buying a larger more expensive amount to cover most illnesses, like all the medications, dewormer varieties and antibiotic flakes as well or just 2 types I might normally need/use 1 dewormer and gram negative medication.

Definitely following this as well. I’m another person who has had zero luck with guppies specifically. Guppy’s, guppy endled crosses and albino cories actually. Tried all three repeatedly and always lost them fairly quickly while all my other fish were fine.

Interestingly some made it out of quarantine into my main tank before passing and still none of my other fish developed symptoms which is probably why I hadn’t considered parasites before. I always figured they would have passed to my various tetras if that were the case.

My treatments have only been than doing a 1st round plus follow-up treatment of dewormer flakes, and using liquid suspension of Fendbendozole for treating Planaria in nano tank, feeding garlic juice from fresh garlic on food, and fish foods infused with garlic. That's the extent for internal parasites.

Last week I finally got around to ordering food with probiotics
New Life Spectrum Probiotix Small 60g (Naturox Series)

**Natural probiotix 0.5mm pellets - 60g
8 million living + viable probiotic cultures in every gram
Increased nutrient absorption by your fish's gut
Cleaner waste for better water quality
Healthy bacteria in your water & filter = Cleaner aquarium

Fish like it. Just started feeding it with other foods as well, last night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````

As for trying to figure out why a fish had a hollowed belly. In my cases I feel like I feed a huge variety of foods and it would likely not be vitamin or nutritional deficiency. Numerous pelleted foods meaty, omnivore varied brands and seaweeds and greens, frozen and freeze dried.

I do not use live black worms, which are known for bringing in unwanted organisms.

So this leaves fish coming in with stressed systems, maybe causing them to not be able to deal with the parasites.

OMG Liberty you sound EXACTLY like me talking [emoji57] Same fish and same results
I had always just blamed *fish issues* on my water which is ridiculously hard - I'm on a well and live on the Canadian Shield which is mainly granite based, I have given up trying to keep calcium deposits off my equipment because it's a constant battle I just don't want to fight any more as it makes me HATE my tanks, but I'm getting sidetracked. I have no luck with Angels either for some reason, they are fine for awhile but eventually a perfectly healthy looking fish *just dies*. I know my pH is right around their upper limit at 7ish but there is a *local* (1.5 hrs away) breeder who has AWESOME fish in water similar to mine so blaming it on my water seemed *logical*
Now admittedly I am not one to religously test my water if everything seems to be running fine and with it only being one or two kinds of fish I was *assuming* this was the case. Guess I am going to have to start testing on a more regular basis.

I am DEFINITELY going to be following this

Back
Top Bottom