Diseased tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcala

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new tank, 20 gallon. My stock is slowly dying off!! All of my original fish are doing fine! But my mollies and platies are sick! I bought API TRIPLE SULFA. It tells me to take the filters out( I'm running penguin 100 & 150 with 3 filter cartridges combined). When I take them out should I use some tank water to keep the BB safe? My cycle is not over !

1 black ghost knife
1 brown pleco
2 female Dalmatian mollies
1 male sailfin Molly
1 blue gourami
2 (pair) orange platies
2 other platies
4 snails

You should return any surviving fish to the store and complete your cycle with ammonia. Your tank will not be diseased, so do not dose any meds. If your tank is as new as I think it is your water will go cloudy for a bit but will clear up in time but keep your filters running.

Do you have a test kit? Check your ammonia levels. If you insist on keeping the fish be prepared to do ALOT of water changes

You should return any surviving fish to the store and complete your cycle with ammonia ur tank will not be diseased .

The black ghost knife,pleco, sailfin Molly, And blue gourami are my girlfriends favorite and she's not letting me bring them back

Get the buckets ready then mate. If u dont kno ur ammonia level you dont know how much water youll need to take out/change.

Believe me, and im definatley not the first on here who made the same mistake. Your fish will die in an uncycled tank they are being poisoned by their own waste. so you need to rehome them for a while im sure you could reserve them, my lfs just asks a deposit.

Get the buckets ready then mate. If u dont kno ur ammonia level you dont know how much water youll need to take out/change.

Believe me, and im definatley not the first on here who made the same mistake. Your fish will die in an uncycled tank so if your missus has still got her tank she needs to have em back for a while at least. They are being poisoned by there own waste.

My ammonia level is at .5-1ppm. Rites and rates are at 0! I don't know if that helps

To be honest mate your fish will get way too big for the tank. Plecos, mollies, gouramis and platys are messy fish anyway

Like i said mate if you want to try and keep the fish you can do 50% water changes everyday with a good water conditioner and hope the hardier fish survive or take them back and fishless cycle. Its easier to do and no fish suffer

Jcala said:
The black ghost knife,pleco, sailfin Molly, And blue gourami are my girlfriends favorite and she's not letting me bring them back

The knife and the pleco both will outgrow your tank by a lot. Also the knife is pretty sensitive as far as water parameters go so it is likely the cycling process will kill it. You need to be doing big water changes to get that ammonia down. No need to medicate, your fish aren't suffering from a disease, just from toxic levels of ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom