Disinfect tank advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to be able to put a betta in my tank. I need it disinfected so this one won't get sick.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

5.5 gal tank had a veil tail betta. Diagnosed her with droopsy. My pH and nitrates were negative . Ammonia test light yellow and pH light blue. I use a hob filter avi . I did 50% water changes every week. I fed her pellets then on Sunday a blanched pea. She started hanging at the bottom of the tank up only for air then started to hang on on one silk plant to be close to the top. She went two weeks then stopped eating . Her scales started to poke out and very bloated. I got her march of this year at 6 months old. She had a personality beyond that of what I ever seen. Through all this I did humanly have to put her down. I do take things as this hard.

As long as she didn't leach body fluid into the tank you should be safe. If so, I'd add a half dose of formalin wait a day change 50% of the water and repeat twice. If you have inverts like snails or shrimp get them out until you are finished and do another 50% water change. You likely get away with just placing another Betta in the tank. I give them away if you pay postage, $10. I have some very nice adults and awesome smaller fish.

Without doing the ratio math how much vinegar and water to sterilize 5.5 gal tank.?

As long as she didn't leach body fluid into the tank you should be safe. If so, I'd add a half dose of formalin wait a day change 50% of the water and repeat twice. If you have inverts like snails or shrimp get them out until you are finished and do another 50% water change. You likely get away with just placing another Betta in the tank. I give them away if you pay postage, $10. I have some very nice adults and awesome smaller fish.
Loves this ^
Do you use formalin or mix it yourself by any chance? Or just use the Quick cure formalin/malachite?

OK so I let my tank run with hob and no charcol filter with a strong solution of aquarium salt for a week in my 5.5 gal tank . Now it is drained, dry and hob cleaned out. Should I soak it again with non iodized salt then drain and dry again. I just want to be able to set it up again but not rush for the safety of the next one staying healthy

as long as its clean and fresh water, i would not worry about it, its more about STRESS of this fish than how clean the tank is.

Back
Top Bottom