Distressed Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 4" blue turquoise discus and all day he's been really dark colored and hasn't moved around much either. He is sharing a 55g tank with one other discus, a twig cat, a whiptail cat, a betta (has shown no aggression toward the discus), 6 otos, and 11 very short term goldfish (I'm housing them over break and this was the only open tank). I have yet to check the water parameters but I will do that now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and here is a picture of him

Attachments

• 1451253815072.jpg
    1451253815072.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 72
Do a 30 gal wc a day or its going to be problems in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd do more than 10g personally. I never recommend doing less than 50% unless you're doing several each week. Really need tank parameters before we can make any suggestions. Temperature, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.

The goldies are the first thing I see wrong, and I'm sure you're aware of that. Cold-water fish living with very warm water fish. What temp are you keeping that tank at?

Jesse

Im going to be perfectly honest/blunt here. Your tank is stocked as wrong as a tank could be stocked. You have a ton of the messiest, Coldwater fish our there with some of the most delicate warm water fish out there. It's not going to work. Discus need pristine water, responsibly stocked tanks and top notch maintenence. It's nice and all that you're taking on fish for a friend but staring these threads when you know exactly what is wrong but refuse to change anything is ridiculous to me. Don't take it personal or do, just do something about it.

Im going to be perfectly honest/blunt here. Your tank is stocked as wrong as a tank could be stocked. You have a ton of the messiest, Coldwater fish our there with some of the most delicate warm water fish out there. It's not going to work. Discus need pristine water, responsibly stocked tanks and top notch maintenence. It's nice and all that you're taking on fish for a friend but staring these threads when you know exactly what is wrong but refuse to change anything is ridiculous to me. Don't take it personal or do, just do something about it.

I know, the goldies are short term and will only be in there for another week.

I'd do more than 10g personally. I never recommend doing less than 50% unless you're doing several each week. Really need tank parameters before we can make any suggestions. Temperature, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.

The goldies are the first thing I see wrong, and I'm sure you're aware of that. Cold-water fish living with very warm water fish. What temp are you keeping that tank at?

Jesse

I do a 10g water change every 2 days

Here are the water parameters:
Nitrate-5
Ammonia-0
Temp-86
and i forgot about nitrite and i will do that now...

Oh and brookster, this is entirely my fault i know. I bought the discus after i had agreed to the goldfish and i put them in the tank bc i knew that the temp will kill their fungal infections, i was planning to have a 20g from my friend but he hasn't givien to me yet and wont be able to give it to me because his grandparents came down today and my family is coming down on Tuesday

And the stocking for that tan that i have planned is responsible. Ember tetras, pistos (maybe), discus, suckermouth cats that are currently in the tank, and plants

Just did another 10g water change. He seems to have perked up a little but that could be because there was a gravel siphon moving around the tank. Next step: feeding

Im curious... Are these the sick goldfish from school?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I'm reading all this correctly, you've gotta get those discus into a BB Tank ASAFP. Clean water is going to be key here. I would say warm 84-86ish.

Im curious... Are these the sick goldfish from school?

Yep, they are really healthy now. The heat immediately killed off the fungal infection like I thought it would. And since then there has been nothing. And I would think that the discus would be showing signs of fungus. He seems to have perked up and is moving around more since the water change. I'll see how he is at feeding time later tonight

Seriously man. Screw the goldfish..... Get those discs their own settings.

I have an idea, I checked out my garage and there is a large plastic box probably around 30g that I will put them in

Put the beta and goldfish in the rubbermaid. Discus are the ACES here.

Back
Top Bottom