Do bettas get HITH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My betta has two white marks on his head area... I saw a small one yesterday and then a larger one appeared this morning. It's really hard to tell, but the larger one looks like it's a depression or dent in his skin. Not sure if it's mechanical wounds, body fungus or HITH. Do bettas get bettas get HITH? I thought it was mainly cichlids. He also seems to be clamping his caudal fin a bit.

Water parameters are all good. Temp is stable. Last pwc 25% on Saturday. Recent changes: 1) added HOB filter in addition to sponge filter, the current is low but it may have stressed him. Although he seemed to enjoy surfing the currents and didn't shy away from them. 2) He's been trying to eat the otos food such as wafers and zucchini. He's been somewhat successful and has eaten more greens in addition to his usual diet of Hikari bio gold pellets, occasional bloodworm, weekly pea. There's been some competition for food and me shooing him away from their food which may have caused stress.

I've turned off the HOB for now, and removed all food stuff from the tank. Otos seem completely fine.

Any thoughts?

I don't know. I did see through some reading that it most commonly affects discus, oscars, and other cichlids. I guess it can't be ruled out totally - one of the causes is parasites. But none of my bettas have ever gotten it. I had a betta once that looked like he had a raised scale above his eye. I got him like that and that scale or bump never went away and never got any worse. I'd do a few extra water changes and keep observing Corwin. Here's a link I found: Freshwater Hole in the Head Disease Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment

I noticed yet another small white mark this morning, just above the bridge of his snout. Here are some pics, sorry for the poor quality. He seems a bit lethargic. The marks don't look fuzzy. I wonder if he's running into something at night because the marks seem to be appearing just in the mornings.

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom