Do fish bruise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy grandma

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Goldfish Has Swelling on Face

Hi Every one, a few weeks ago I bought my 1st tank, pre-used 90 ltr Aqua One with massive filter across the back using charcoal and noodles etc. Along with the tank came 3 two year old Orandas, initially I was going to rehome the fish as I wanted tropical. However, being a soft touch I have kept them and bought another tank for the tropicals. :angel:

Everything has gone well, past 3 weeks water has been perfect(phew) and fish very happy (we even had eggs, which they later ate).. However, one of them has what looks like a swelling between her mouth and eye and further back on her gill area, a spot that is perfectly round and looks like a dab of orange ink. Both the swelling and the spot are the same bright orange as the top of her head. She is very lively, eating well and shows no other signs of being unwell.

I rang my vet to ask if they did fish, only to be told "we do them battered with chips"!!!!!!

I have grow very attached to these funny little fish, but being new don't know what the swelling could be. Hope someone can help, please :D

Last edited:
Hmmm..I wish I could help. I have never seen a bruise on any of my goldfish, but that does not mean that it does not happen. Any chance of posting a couple of good clear pictures? That would be very helpful.

Thank you for responding. I have tried for ages to take a photo of her face, but all I seem to have are bottoms and the colours on the photo's are too red. Will try again. Although the swelling has been there a couple of days (and shows no sign of receding) she stills seems quite happy riding the oxygen bubbles, and she does seem to hit the gravel quite hard when she dives to the bottom, actually she is a gungho little fish:fish1:

The first picture shows the swelling over her lip, the colours are grossly exaggerated, the spot is further back over her gill. The red line down to the spot isn't really there. The second picture shows the other side and you can see that she is quite pale above her mouth. Hope this helps

Oscar 1.jpg

Oscar 3.jpg

hm, maybe it's supposed to be like that? Doesn't really look like a bruise to me but i am not an expert. When my goldfish had bruises they were on her sides and belly and it was from being nipped at. Do any of your fish pick on that one?

Hi, there are only three fish in the tank and they seem to get on really well:smitten: The swelling has only appeared over the weekend and has now spread down the side of her mouth, but she's still happy and lively

Back
Top Bottom