Do fish normally just dissapear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterDreams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
(along side my snail infected tank i have another question)

in my tank i had two female guppies, one that happened to be fancy and the other plain. For a while my fancy guppy was looking kind of thin and was haning mostly at the bottom of the tank. i thought perhpas the other female, who was getting fatter by the day, was simply keeping my other one from the food. Anyhow.. i kept an eye on her for a few days, found her once on the bottom under some leaves near my driftwood, completely hidden.. then the next day.. gone. i mean completely. i knew she was too weak to jump out of the tank but i searched anyways. The floor, and all around the tank and nothing. i basically stripped the tank, moving the pants and wood and rocks and everything and couldn't find her. Not a dead little body or anything. Not even a piece of a fish anywhere. i have cories and ottos, but they don't eat dead fish do they? Could my other fish have actually eatten her? Or what the heck happened. She couldn't have died and like 'dissolved' or been sucked up by my hob filter that fast. i mean i even pulled the hob apart to check and nothing.

So.. what do you think could have happened?

Hey sorry i dont really have any advice for you, but something similar to this happened to me just the other day!!
I had a small angelfish for about a week and then the other day i just couldn't find it! I looked on the ground, rocks, every plant, filter intake and inside the filter and couldn't find it! and the fish i have, i know they couldn't have eaten it! and even if they did, i didnt find any remains at all!! so yeah , sorry to hear!!

Sorry to hear about your guppy. It is entirely possible that the other fish ate her. I have had it happen to much larger fish :(

I should have knocked on wood before I made that snarky remark.
A Raphael Cat I bought today disappeared within minutes of entering the tank. Perhaps I have a space-time-continuum wormhole as well. If anyone sees him, he can be identified by his long barbels and clicking. Jeff

any star-trek fans here? hahahahaha i am sorry about ur loss tho, two of my cardinals disappeared, im guessing they wandered into one of my pictus's open gob lol

Happened to two of my danios before.
Its like they've just dissapeared into the twilight zone. Or the Bermuda Triangle.

If it's so likely for them to just suddenly disappear, do you think it's just as likely one day they can just reappear??!! :scatter:

...trippy :censor:

Dan

that happened to me before with my neon I found him a few days later stuck to the back of my filter intake, out of view. I used to have a really bushy java fern that would hide the dead bodies of neons too. My molly got really agressive and killed my school of 8 neons. It was terrible to watch. For days i was fishing thier little bodies out of plants and off filter tubes. I want to return the molly but i cant bear the thought of some 7 year old tossing him in her uncycled tank of death.

One of my fish disappeared the other day I have no idea where it went . But on an unrelated topic my Pitcus seems to be putting on some weight. :roll:

This same event has happened to me twice now. One day I just realized my chinese algae eater was gone. Because he never came up to the top to eat, I guess I just didn't always notice him. I never found the slightest clue as to what happened to him either.

Then a few weeks ago, one of my swordtails just disappeared. I don't know what her deal was anyway, she was never very active, always hung out in the same spot, but she was alive in there for months. I noticed probably within a day of her disappearing, and the next day, saw a little piece of carcass that the loaches and pleco had obviously been munching on.

Very very strange...water parameters perfect too...I guess they just went for whatever reason.

Paul

Unfortunately, it seems fish are very prone to disappearing. I think most of the time it is simply they get eaten by other fish in the tank or sucked into the filter. What is really a pain is when a fiddler crab vanishes. Then you have to search the entire house. When I had some. I found one once crawling across the carpet away from its tank.

Saw my Raphael Cat for the first time in two weeks. This was at 2 am. He took one lock at me and slipped on Bilbo's ring and he was gone. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom