Do you guys know if Parasite Clear medication is safe for loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonFlux

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Like the title states, I just want to know and was wondering. I know praziquantel is pretty safe, and it is one of the active ingredients in Parasite Clear, but as for the other drugs in it, I'm not so sure. It also has metronidazole, acriflavine, and diflubenzuron. What do you guys think? If I were to go with it, should I just use 1/2 dose, or maybe 3/4 dose just to be on the safe side? Have you gone for a full dose without any problems? I heard it's safe with filters, and won't hurt biological filtration, so that's good to know. Oh yeah, and I don't have any inverts, so I don't need to worry about taking out any.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks a lot guys.

Acriflavine is antibacterial (not an antibiotic). It is known for causing sterility in fish. It's still commonly used in countries where antibiotics are not readily available. Difluben is dimilin. It's a potent insecticide that was used more in the past to treat anchor worms and fish lice before safer alternatives were discovered. It's quite toxic and a known human carcinogen. My suggestion is to not use this med unless you are treating something very specific that does not have a more reasonable alternative. :)

Wow, scary! Thanks a lot for the heads-up, jlk.

Sounds like Parasite Clear isn't friendly at all for the bodies of all of us and animals.. I'll definitely keep this in mind for sure and won't be using it.. I do want my fish to be able to potentially reproduce one day if some of them pair up so I can raise fry if I get the chance.

Anyway thanks for the info again, jlk, I'll be throwing it out for sure.

Wow, scary! Thanks a lot for the heads-up, jlk.

Sounds like Parasite Clear isn't friendly at all for the bodies of all of us and animals.. I'll definitely keep this in mind for sure and won't be using it.. I do want my fish to be able to potentially reproduce one day if some of them pair up so I can raise fry if I get the chance.

Anyway thanks for the info again, jlk, I'll be throwing it out for sure.

Do you need help with treating something specific or are you just researching med options for the future? I know you mentioned some concerns in your other thread but you seem to have things under control. :)

Yep, I'm just researching med options for the future. Nothing is currently ailing my loaches. Thanks for your concern though, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom