Does anyone know what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amydaveg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Image1477960472.074718.jpgImage1477960496.081495.jpg

Parameters are perfect. No other fish seem to have this except my two sevrums. YImage1477960669.232923.jpg

Do I isolate and treat for fungus?

Thanks

dont worry about it. if it starts to get any worse, isolate them if possible; but treatment in the main tank with a bit of salt usually works. it is indeed a fungal infection, but only the first stage of it and if you treat it the right way now, you shouldnt have a problem.

My tank is 125 gallon. How much salt do you suggest? I have used high amounts of salt to treat ick in the past, so I don't think it would bother them to use a little.

I don't need to isolate and use fungal medicine. I do have a hospital tank that I could use for both of them.

Thanks.

My tank is 125 gallon. How much salt do you suggest? I have used high amounts of salt to treat ick in the past, so I don't think it would bother them to use a little.

I don't need to isolate and use fungal medicine. I do have a hospital tank that I could use for both of them.

Thanks.

use around a couple kilos. if it doesnt work, keep increasing the amount until it you feel it is unsafe to do so anymore. DONT overdose.

I don't see much of a difference after a week of salt. I did notice my ph was high so adjusted that.

Should I isolate in a hospital tank and treat with fungus medication or stay the course?

ThanksImage1478347803.643661.jpg

theres no point in adjusting your PH, because the salt will just bring it back up again. scoop the fish out gently rub one of the spots between two fingers. if they do not change, it may be a parasite in the veins of the fins. either way, you should isolate it, unless the spots come of. if the spots remain, isolate the fish in a tank with perfect parameters, allow the fish to be as comfortable as possible, lower the PH to 7.0 and make sure your salinity is as low as possible. allow it to destress. if possible, add driftwood and plants; as they provide an excellent scource of nutrition and the tanins can help with the fishes slime coat. if after a week, the spots still remain, rub them with your fingers gently again. if they come off or disappear, then he is fine. if they stay, proceed to treat for parasites. i have found blue planet paracide to be very effective.

It is on both sevrums. Isolate them both in separate tanks ?

This is simply the result of two things. Listen

1. Lack of adequate blood supply to the fins (cartilage)
2. Small wounds to the cartilage

Fungus does not just grow on fish, there is always a site for injury, a parasite destroying the skin, or fish with injury to their fins.
You don't really need to do anything, in fact treating with medication would be more stressful than doing anything to stop it.

Now I'm really confused.

Can anyone tell me what specific gravity i should be shooting when adding salt?

Sorry, let me explain more. Its fungus, but its not anything "serious". It is a small tear, wound, in the tail, that gets infected. But since its cartilage, there is no point for antibiotic, as it will normally clear up on its own. Are you using marine salt? Marine salt has anti-fungal properties, but Aquarium salt absolutely does not. There are plenty of anteseptics that would kill fungus, but its not really necessary, simply increase the heat and the salinity/hardness of the water, keep it really clean, and it should go away on its own, If it dosent, treat with an antiseptic type med such as methylene blue.

If you think of how fungus works, it does not "eat" live skin or tissue with blood supply running thru it. It does not kill a tree in nature, it breaks down a DEAD log. Dead stuff. So, there is no such thing as a "fungal" infection that would be life-threatinging. It always consumes dead material, or in this case, cartilage of the fins.

This is a chiclid?
Salinity to 1.005 maybe?
Maybe go to brackish strength, and up the heat to 82.
Brand new sparkiling clean water, and you shouldn't have to use any medicine.
Fungus hates heat, and marine salt trace minerals.

Thanks. I have been using regular API aquarium salt. I will raise the heat also.
Any particular marine salt you recommend. Will go get some today.

No special kind. Ill just buy whatever. Just get the cheapest you can find.
Regular AQ salt only will help with Slime coat and gill function. I'm no expert, but if your gonna use salt to treat a sick fish, it is best to use marine salt, provided your fish can tolerate it. Maybe a quick google search for your type of fish to see if that's okay. I know guppies and mollies can tolerate up to full salinity.

Make sure to dissolve it in a bucket for 30 minutes before adding it to the tank. And its (Marine salt) not plant or catfish friendly.

I'm just saying, I have no idea what kind of fish that even is. If your fish can tolerate heat and marine salt tho, it should kill any parasite or fungi.

Is this fin Rot? I isolated the fish and against all advice I used a packet of API FUNGUS CURE.

I did a 75 change and just added some aquarium salt.
I also added carbon to get rid of the meds.

I read online that it could be bacteria or fungus, but regardless use salt and clean water.

The spots may go away on their own...
They are lymphocystis .
Lymphocystis

Clean water will clear up the fin rot.
I never use salt as it only irritates the skin or has some type of effect on osmoregulation...

It is either proper meds with clean water or just clean water till proper diagnosis...

Back
Top Bottom