Does my betta have fin rot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, so how often do I have to do partial water changes in a 5g tank with a filter?? I've been told about 3 different things now... Guy in store said 40-50% a month... Lady in other store said 20-25% every 10 days... And now 20% a week...

Change the water twice a week in tanks 5 gallons and smaller.

Look up velvet and see if that's what you think he has. Bettafix, Melafix or Pimafix should clear it up, but only use 1/2 doses.

So I got the Pimafix which says use a tsp per 10 gallons, every day for seven days. it says to remove the activated carbon... should I jsut throw out that whole part because the foam bag thing will be infected with velvet? and just use half the dose? also, if he doesn't have it (im still not 100% sure) will this medication kill him? :(
Agh! Im now reading that Pimafix is an antifungal, but velvet is a parasite... is there a different med Im supposed to use? :(

Just remove the carbon, you don't want to throw away all of the good bacteria. Just use half doses, but if you don't think he needs it, don't use it, you don't want to cause any unnecessary stress to the little guy. You can use a mix of Pimafix and Melafix.

I never skip feeding, instead I feed boiled, shelled peas once a week. :)

I've heard of this but never tried it. I have read to fast one day AND feed a pea one day but I never had any probs with just fasting once a day. I do hate seeing them go hungry though. Do you use frozen peas? How long do you boil them for? Is it 1 whole pea per betta? Some people say half a pea.

I put a few frozen peas in a coffee cup and put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, pop the middle out onto a spoon, mush with my finger, and feed. It is WAY less than 1 pea, only 2 pieces about the size of their pellets.

I put a few frozen peas in a coffee cup and put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, pop the middle out onto a spoon, mush with my finger, and feed. It is WAY less than 1 pea, only 2 pieces about the size of their pellets.

Oh dear I'm glad I asked lol. I'm going to have to start doing that and put an end to go hungry day. Thank you :)

GoldfishNewbie said:
OH NO! I looked at pug today and noticed gold specs shimmering in the light :( how do I treat it???

Get acriflavin. He will die quicky with the velvet. Acriflavin will have him feeling better in 24 hours if it is not too late. Velvet is nasty and the mela prima fix stuff won't touch it. Acriflavin can't be overdosed. Watch it as it does stain. I put 3 to 5 drops in a beanie.. you can cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle. Keep him warm. Your tank is infected now too. Id break it down and bleach stuff. Don't use acrfiflavin in tank as it stains the sealant. Bettas real prone to velvet in cool temps and or acidic water. Good luck.

dkpate said:
Just remove the carbon, you don't want to throw away all of the good bacteria. Just use half doses, but if you don't think he needs it, don't use it, you don't want to cause any unnecessary stress to the little guy. You can use a mix of Pimafix and Melafix.

Get rid of or clean with bleach everything associated with the velvet. I have hundreds of bettas and velvet is nothing to mess with. You will develop a resistant strain if you don't agressivly get rid of it.

Nope, I keep checking on him and I really don't think its velvet anymore :) Not sure why his fins are clamped... but i dont think its velvet :D and isnt bleach ridiculously dangerous for any fish supplies... I'd hate to ever use that and somehow not rinse it out enough and all the fish die... Pretty sure your supposed to just scrub and rinse with hot hot water

Nope, I keep checking on him and I really don't think its velvet anymore :) Not sure why his fins are clamped... but i dont think its velvet :D and isnt bleach ridiculously dangerous for any fish supplies... I'd hate to ever use that and somehow not rinse it out enough and all the fish die... Pretty sure your supposed to just scrub and rinse with hot hot water

I bleach everything.. I even rinse well and add water and fish when I scrub beanies. I use prime as a water conditioner and have a tad extra in the water holding tank so it eliminates any residue. If they air dry it is also gone. Same with nets. The get dipped in a bleach solution, run water thry them then use them. Been doing it for years and have had no problem. I have also used salt. It is a mild abrasive and disease does not tend to cross the fresh/salt barrier.

Back
Top Bottom