Does my fish have fin melt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elfeves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A week ago, the tail of my s size angelfish was completely gone. died the next day. It had spent a few days hiding among the plants. Today I noticed that the tail of my small transgenetic tetra had disappeared.
the fish does not swim a lot, nor does it come to food.
there are L size angelfish and large size gourami and guppies in the aquarium. Is a fish in the aquarium tickling or is it fin melt? My aquarium is 150 liters. I do 30 percent dips per week.

Fin rot tends to look mushy and happens gradually. Torn fins tend to be cleaner wounds and happen much quicker.

Fin rot is often caused by poor water quality. Do you know your water parameters?

Can you post photos of your effected fish?

I am waiting for the tap water to be dechlorinated for 2 days. The pH of water is around 7. At the moment, only this fish is affected, the tail of the guppies is like this. There is no problem with fish in general. There are 33 fish. In the same way 1 week ago, my little angelfish tail melted and died.

The guppy with the red striped tail has bites in the tail. That is probably caused by the other yellow widow/ skirt tetra (Glofish). These are natural fin nippers and need to be kept in large groups of at least 10 otherwise they stress out and cause problems. Even in a group of 10, I wouldn't keep them with slow moving fish like angelfish or dwarf gouramis.

The smaller Glofish that has the missing tail is also sunken in around the upper body and this can be from stress, intestinal worms, gill flukes or lack of food.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
It might not be big enough for all the angelfish when they are mature.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings from any pet shop or online. You can also use coloured card, newspaper or a plastic bin liner. Just tape it to the outside on the back of the tank.

If the water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH) is good, then the tails disappearing is probably from fin nipping. Personally I would get rid of the skirt tetras (Glofish).

My sick fish died today. I will send the glowish from the aquarium. My aquarium is holding 40 gallons of water.

there is a brown color at the end of the tail of the fish. meltdown or fish bite? formed this way in two or three days

Back
Top Bottom