Does my guppy have a parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I've just bought three guppies. I've got them acclimatised and settled in the tank and they're all swimming around fine and looking healthy.

I've been watching them like a hawk and have just noticed that one of the females seems to have two very thin worm like things coming out of her anus like a fork.

She's not fat, so I don't think she's giving birth (never seen it happen so not sure).
Could anyone tell me if this is a parasite at all?

Thanks for your help!

Uh oh! After looking up some pics online, it looks like the pictures of camellanus.
Can someone please tell me it's not that!!

Ok, the fish shop told me to take her back, and have given us a replacement.
Now, my other female guppy is starting to hang near the top of the water. Is this normal and just her settling in, or could this be a symptom that maybe she has parasites and I just can't see them yet :/ sorry to be so paranoid :(

What are your parameters? Usually, clear stringy poop means a sign of internal parasites, They hanging around the water, depending on your parameters, you possibly be ammonia/nitrite poisoning . Did you cycle the tank?

It sounds like the worms to me too, but aren't they red? If it was the worms, then the other fish might be infected too. I am not too sure about how the worms work, but I will try to find some info real quick.

Yep the worms were red :( thank you for the info dkpate :) my other guppy has stopped hanging near the surface and is swimming about happily. Maybe she was just a bit stressed. Will be watching them veeeeerry closely!
My tank is cycled, and ammonia and nitrite were at 0, though they've gone up since adding new fish. Lots of pwc coming up! ;)

Well, I wish you luck. The website said to treat the tank, even if the other fish are showing no signs, since the others have been exposed.

Ok. Will do. I tried to find some of the meds in a few fish shops yesterday but couldn't find anything for parasites, let alone that particular one. One advised me to use a 'tonic' that had copper in it :/
Looks like I'm going to have to find it online, because I can't get it here on the Isle of Wight. Thank you!

You might try to find the Levamisole on the US eBay or something, that is the med you will need.[FONT=Lucida Grande,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom